Chapter 30: Coma

An hour later, the band and I were still sitting in the waiting room.

The doctors hadn't told us anything.

It scared me. What if he wasn't okay?

I cried a lot in that hour. I couldn't help it.

Jonny, Guy, And Will comforted me all they could, but they were hardly keeping it together either.

Finally, a doctor walked in the room, clearing her throat.

All of us stood, looking at her.

She had sadness in her eyes.

What was she going to say? He hadn't died, had he?

"Is he okay?" I asked, my voice high pitched and scratchy from the crying.

She sighed softly. "We've had to put him in a medical induced coma."

"What? Why?" Guy Asked.

"He was hardly breathing on his own," She Said. "So in order to slip a tube down his throat and help him breathe, he had to be asleep."

"Couldn't you have just put him out for a bit?" Jonny Asked, a clear look of shock on his face. "Why a coma?"

She shook her head sadly. "That's the thing," She Said. "We don't know when he'll get better. He's so weak right now we can't operate on the internal injuries. The coma is just so we can keep him stable, for now."

"Will he ever wake up?" I Asked, my heart sinking.

She looked at me, biting her lip. "All that we can do for your dad right now is keep him stable." She Said. "We know he's alive, at least. We're monitoring his brain, and he still has activity."

Will, Jonny, and Guy sighed in relief, and I nodded.

At least we knew he wasn't brain dead, through I was still heartbroken over the fact that he was in a coma, and they didn't yet know if he'd be okay.

I just wanted to know. I wanted answers.

"Can we see him?" I Asked.

She thought for a moment, then nodded. "Only two at a time, though."

Guy and Will looked at Jonny, who nodded. They all just decided there that Jonny would go with me, since he and Chris were such close friends.

Jonny came over to me, placing his hand on my back and patting me a bit.

The doctor began to lead us down the hallway, which seemed to go on forever as my anxiety continued to get worse.

Jonny looked at me, noticing the familiar expression on my face.

"Hey...everything's alright.." he said gently, trying to comfort me.

He placed his hand on my back again, as we continued to follow the doctor.

As we approached the door, the doctor opened it up.

I stood, frozen.

Did I really want to see him how he was?

I wasn't ready.

Especially when I actually saw him.

Jonny nudged me in, and I went in the room, looking at the figure on the bed.

The doctor came in, walking over to Chris and checking his vitals, as I just stared.

He was covered in many different wires and tubes, and his skin was still almost unnaturally pale. I was used to him looking so happy, and being so full of life.

He looked so helpless like this, and so sad.

I reached over, mindlessly grabbing onto Jonny.

He just patted me on the arm to acknowledge me, then walked over to Chris's side.

I made my way over as well, each step I took giving me more anxiety.

I reached for his hand, then looked at Jonny. I didn't want to touch him if I wasn't supposed to, as dumb as it sounds. Situations like this always give me anxiety.

Jonny nodded, and I held Chris's limp hand gently in mine.

"What are all of the tubes and wires for?" I Asked quietly.

The doctor walked over, pointing at the one which went into his arm. "That's an IV," She Said. "We use that to make sure he gets proper hydration, for pain relief, and for the medication that puts him into the coma."

She pointed at the wires which were taped to his forehead. "These read brain activity, which tells us if he's still alive." She Said, then pointed at the tube in his mouth. "That goes down his throat and into his lungs, helping him breathe."

I nodded. "D-Do you think he can hear me?"

She nodded. "He should be able to."

I cleared my throat, looking up at Chris.

"Dad.." I Said, squeezing his hand a bit. "I'm here...you'll be okay.."

The doctor smiled a little, turning a monitor for me to see.

"His brain activity grew when you started talking to him." She Said. "He can hear you."

I smiled a little, my eyes filling with tears. "Dad...stay alive for me, okay?" I Asked. "I love you. I'm so sorry all of this happened.."

I Swallowed, bringing his hand up and hugging it close as my tears began to fall.

It hurt me that all he could do was lay there, motionless. He was trapped in his own body.

A few tears fell on his hand, running down.

"I love you, dad.." I sobbed. "I love you so much.."