Chapter 12: The Appoinment

The next morning, Chris took me to the doctor for my appointment. We sat in the waiting room for what seemed like forever, before the doctor finally came to get us.

We all went into one of the exam rooms together, and I sat on the bed, while Chris sat down in the chair beside me.

"So, What's wrong?" The doctor asked, looking up at me.

"I've had stomach pains ever since Last year." I mumbled. "My aunt wouldn't let me get it checked out."

"Your aunt?" He asked.

"She used to live with her," Chris explained. "Until I found out she was my daughter and she came with me."

The doctor nodded. "On a scale of one to ten, how bad would you say the pain is?"

I thought for a moment. "Probably nine." I Said. "Or ten...I don't know.."

"It's constant, then?" He Asked. "What's the longest you've gone without feeling it?"

"Um...probably a few days." I mumbled.

"Would you mind standing up for me?" He asked.

I nodded, before hopping off of the bed, standing in front of the doctor.

"I need you to raise your arms up as high as they go, please." He said.

I held up my arms, and he touched a spot on my stomach, pressing a bit.

"Does that hurt?"

I shook my head.

He continued to do that in different spots, until he suddenly hit the spot that hurt me. I winced, biting my lip.

"Ow.." I whimpered, and Chris looked super worried seeing me in pain.

"That hurts?" The doctor asked, and I nodded.

He quit pressing on it, before straightening himself out. I lowered my arms, still wincing since the pain hadn't quite stopped.

"Does it still hurt right now?" The doctor asked.

"Yeah." I Sighed.

"Okay." He said. "You May sit down, I'll be right back."

I made my way over to the bed and sat back down as the doctor left the room.

Chris looked at me, his eyes full of worry. "Are you okay, Aaliyah?" He reached over and rubbed my arm a little.

I nodded. "I'm okay." I mumbled, even through I was still hurting pretty bad.

The doctor came back in, looking at me. "Aaliyah, can I have you come with me?" He asked. "We need to do an X-ray quick."

I looked over at Chris, who nodded.

I swallowed nervously, before getting off of the bed and going over to the doctor.

I followed him down the hall, to a dark room, where he had me sit on a bed. He strapped something onto me which I knew was to protect me from the radioactivity In the X-ray, before leaving the room.

I laid completely still as he took a few X-rays, coming back after he finished.

"We're finished now." He said, walking over to me and unstrapping the thing.

I got off of the bed, and He took me down the hall and back to the exam room, where I hopped onto the bed again.

"I'll be right back." He mumbled, before leaving the room once more.

I played with my hair as There was silence between me and Chris, and I wasn't sure why Chris wasn't talking.

Was he nervous? Or did he know I was nervous, and didn't want to talk and make it worse?

Sometimes his ways still confused me, to be completely honest.

"Chris?" I Asked quietly.

"Yeah?" He asked, looking up at me with his blue eyes which were still filled with worry.

Was that why he was being so quiet? Because he was worried?

I wasn't sure what to say now that I got his attention, so I just decided to ask about the tour.

"On tour," I Said. "Do you...really want me to come with you?"

"Of course I do." He said. "I would never leave you behind."

I sighed in relief. "Where will I stay during concerts?"

"Well...if you don't want to do Princess Of China with us, you can always stay in the bus." he said. "But if you do, you can stay backstage. Either way, though, if you'd rather stay backstage so you're closer and not in the bus.."

I thought for a moment. "I'd probably go with the backstage thing." I Said. "And I thought about it a bit...I would love to do the song with you guys."

He smiled at me. "Yay!" He exclaimed quietly, Clapping a bit.

I laughed a little. "I can't wait.."

"Me neither! It'll be so much fun." He said.

The doctor suddenly came back in, immediately walking over to Chris, who stood when he saw how serious the doctor's expression was.

The two were whispering, but I still overheard them.

"Her stomach pains are from internal injuries that she never went to the hospital for." He said. "Was she abused, by any chance?"

"Abused?" Chris Asked, His face falling. "W-What do you mean?"

"They were injuries consistent with being beaten." The doctor said. "Constantly, not just once. Maybe talk to her? We need to find out how we can keep her from having pain from them, but we need to know how it happened."

Chris nodded. "Should I talk to her at home and bring her back next week?" He asked.

The doctor nodded. "Talking at home would be best." He said. "Good luck."

The doctor turned and left the room, then Chris came over to me. "Ready to go home?" He asked, putting on a small smile for me.

I nodded. I knew what was happening, but I didn't want him to know I heard, so I played dumb. "But What about my stomach pain?"

He swallowed, before faking a smile. "We have to talk about stuff at home, then we'll come back and find out what's wrong, okay?"

I nodded, getting off of the bed.

The drive home was quiet, and neither of us uttered a single word.

Chris was probably nervous to talk to me, and I was nervous about answering.

I knew the truth, and I knew it would break Chris's heart.