Chapter 18: A Stomach Flu

When I woke up, I was in my bunk on the bus. I could tell the bus was moving, so I knew we were headed for the next city.

I felt foolish about last night, breaking down and crying in front of everyone.

I couldn't help it; the thought of leaving Chris broke my heart.

I just hoped he would live up to his promise, and not let me go back with my mum.

I sat up, climbing out of my bed, wincing from a headache that had just become adamant.

I made my way over to the door, which I opened, only slightly. Chris was laying on the couch, fast asleep, and Guy was sitting next to him.

I walked in, and Guy looked up at me, giving me a small smile. "Good morning."

I nodded a bit, smiling weakly. He had a sympathy in his eyes as he watched me walk over and sit down.

"Is dad okay?" I Asked quietly.

Typically Chris was already awake by this time. I couldn't believe he was still asleep.

"I'm not sure." Guy Said. "I tried waking him, but he's out."

Suddenly, Chris began to stir. "Turn off the heat.." he mumbled.

Guy and I looked at each other confusedly.

The heat wasn't on, considering that it was in the middle of the summer, and it was actually pretty chilly in the bus, because the air was on.

"It's not hot.." Guy Said, looking back at Chris.

"But I'm hot.." Chris slurred, still half asleep.

Guy furrowed his eyebrows, then reached over, laying his head on Chris's forehead.

"He's burning up.." he muttered.

I looked up. "Is he sick?"

"He must be." He said. "But we have to get him better before tomorrow night's show. At least good enough to perform."

I nodded. "Should we wake him?"

He thought for a moment, then shook his head. "We should let him rest."

An hour later, Chris was awake. Turns out, he had the flu. So Guy, Will, And I were all trying to make sure he felt better.

He just laid on the couch, and I sat next to him, Holding a bottle of Sprite that I'd occasionally hand to him in case he needed a sip.

Will made sure to stay nearby with a trash can, in case Chris threw up again, and Guy was trying to get the television to work.

"Do you need a sip?" I Asked Chris quietly.

"Yes, please." He said, and I handed him the bottle.

He took a small sip, then gave it back to me. "Thank you."

I nodded.

There was complete silence as we just sat there, watching Guy basically wrestle with the flat screen television.

"Dad.." I mumbled.

"Yeah?" He asked, looking over at me with his ocean blue eyes.

I bit my lip. "I-I'm sorry for last night.." I Said. "I acted like a baby."

"Aaliyah, don't say that.." he said. "I understand why you're hurt. All that she did to you, and now she wants you back.."

My eyes began filling with tears. "H-how did they even let her out of prison?"

"I really don't know." He said, looking down and shaking his head. "I'm going to fight for you. She won't get you."

I nodded, looking down a bit. "When do you have to go to court?"

"A few days." He said. "That's when she wanted to."

I nodded again.

"Hey, cheer up a bit for me, Yeah?" He looked at me, smiling weakly. "We're together now, that's all that matters."

"Even through you're sick?" I Asked.

"You Get to take care of me." He laughed a little.

"As long as you take care of me next time I'm sick, which, if you're contagious, will be soon." I chuckled.

He smiled. "I'll make sure to hold your sprite for you." He joked.

"That's my skill!"

We both laughed a bit, and suddenly, Guy cheered.

"I did it!" He exclaimed. "The TV works!"