Chapter 6

TWS: Abuse, Drug overdose, death mentions (if either of the last two make you uncomfortable skip to the end of the italic font <3 ) 

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"Mom... I got your text and I know we're in a fight but I'm sorry..." No response, just the same echo of the early birds and the loud cars rushing past to beat the morning traffic. 

"I brought food... A peace offering" He lets a humorless scoff leave his mouth before his eyes draw to the light beaming from under the bathroom door. His hands fall into a small balled fist before colliding with the door. 

"Mom-" He sighs slowly, opening the door, his breath unsteady and his hands shaking. His eyes are met with his best friend balled up on the floor with tears streaming down her face and an empty pill bottle in hand. Clay lets out a whimper as he drops to his knees pulling his close to lifeless mother into his arms.

"Mom- Stay with me please..." Clay sobs dialing the emergency number into his phone, his entire body trembled as he attempted to shake the woman back to consciousness. 

"I'm sorry- I-" His mom began choking as her breathing grew more restrictive. 

"Why-  Why do you want to leave us? Did I do something wrong? Did I not do enough? Was it because I skipped school, I won't do it again, please just stay with me" Clay sobs as he grips onto the struggling woman in his arms, Shouting his address to the emergency department lady who failed to console the 16-year-old breaking across the line.

"There was nothing- you could've done... It wasn't your fault baby" Clay's eyes fall shut as he drops his head taking a strangled deep breath, frustration boiling through his veins, forcing his body to feel as though it were on fire.

"Was I not enough for you? Did I not try hard enough?! WHAT WAS IT MOM? WAKE THE FUCK UP! PLEASE! DONT LEAVE ME-" Clay whimpers as he shakes his mother's shoulders forcing their eyes to meet for the last time.

"FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE LISTEN TO ME AND OPEN YOUR EYES! MOM!"

"I love you-" His mother mutters under her last breath as tears streamed her cheeks

"Then why'd you leave me-" Clay sobs as he pulls the woman to his chest feeling her heart slowly stop.

His mother incoherently mumbles, closing her eyes for the last time, falling limp into the arms of her first born son. 

"Sh..." Clay whispers, sobbing into her hair as his entire world releases her last breath. Time stood still as the pale woman was ripped from his arms by paramedics. Clay's dad runs into the room pulling Clay from the ground and into a tight hug, cradling his head, forcing the teen's eyes away from the lifeless body before them. Clay sobs as the men attempt to resuscitate the lifeless women before them... And as time stood still the tall man makes his way to his feet scratching his neck as his partner shakes his head.

"We can't get a pulse...  I'm sorry, we did all we could"

Clay felt his heart stop as the world around him faded into a broken bliss of darkness, His breath caught his throat as his back hits against the wall. His legs give in as he lets out his loud sobs which forced his father down to the ground with him. He grips tightly onto his dad's sweatshirt struggling to draw a breath. His heart felt as though it had been ripped out of his chest, tossed to the pack of wild wolves that left nothing but a slither, his stomach had twisted, enabling a nauseating feeling against the pounding of his heart. Within seconds his worst nightmare had come true. He knew it would happen and he knew there was nothing he could have done to change the outcome but that didn't change the gut-wrenching feeling of it being his fault. If he just found her earlier, if he had just been a better son, Maybe she would have stayed. Maybe