Chapter 5

2 weeks later!! 

The days seemed to speed by, George growing closer with the group with each passing moment, he finally felt as though he belonged. For once he felt that safety he longed for. Each day Clay and George returned to the cliffside after football practice, falling into deep conversations they didn't dare speak on outside the safety of the cliffside. It had become their home away from home, their safe haven where whatever they said would stay between them and in that area. 

Friday has stormed around and as the final bell rings students crowd the exits. George's eyes glance around the empty halls longing to meet any that were familiar, he finally meets Clay's gaze, both of them heading toward the exit.

"Practice got canceled today so let's just head straight to the cliffside yeah?" George gives a small nod before they silently make their way toward Clay's car. It had become a habit that Clay drove them both everywhere as majority of the time George was too lazy, but occasionally he have to drive when Clay would get minor injuries throughout practice. They hike through the trees, taking seats at the edge of the ledge, breathing in the afternoon air, and falling into their usual conversation.  

"Oh come on-" Clay mumbles as George lets out a whole-hearted laugh. 

"Just one game? Promise me you will come to one game, I don't care when, but you have to attend at least one" 

"Ok Clay, one game I promise" George gives a small chuckle before linking his pinky with Clays, their eyes meeting, and as George's eyes meet Clays the same warm feeling that had grown throughout the week seemed to worsen. Whether it was panic from his feelings or the heavy tension that clouded the air, he didn't know, but either way, it was bad. The sun begins setting, convincing both boys to pile out onto the path. Whilst tracking through the dark path and intimidatingly tall trees George is drawn from his daze as a loud snap of a nearby twig forces shock through his heart and stomach, his eyes fall behind him to reveal the empty and eerily dark path, he circles himself a few times taking note of Clay's absence. 

"Clay this isn't funny" Nerves were evident through George's voice, how long had he lost him for? They both knew the way back so there was no way to lose one another for good, but the anxious feeling of being left alone in the woods on an unclear path forced nerves and anxiety to shoot through George's veins.

One step after another leads him through the path, uncertainty crossing his body as the feeling of being watched radiated the air. The sound of footsteps fill the air, George constantly looked over his shoulder in fear of being followed by another being other than Clay, he knew the path was abandoned but the thought never failed to cross his mind. Several snaps are heard through the seemingly long walk, each time making George jump before hearing chuckles, at least he knew Clay was nearby. 

"This literally isn't funny, please come out, I don't like it" George mumbles circling himself. His surroundings fall silent as he sighs, the warm breeze pushing the surrounding dust and leaves through the air. 

"Your so annoying, I swear I'm never coming back here and it's your own fault" George shrugs never once stopping in his tracks, the path narrowed signaling he was close to the gate. 

"Georgeeee~" Clay calls out making George shiver in fear, he was oddly intimidating. 

"You're not funny, stop being an idiot" George calls out stopping in his tracks in an attempt to hear anything other than his heavy breaths. He takes several steps forward before a strong grip is placed on his waist, he lets out a short scream before being pinned against the tree he has just passed.

"SHhh!" Clay wheezes placing his hand over George's mouth, his eyes had widened and his skin paled. 

"What the fuck is wrong with you" George lets out a heavy breath his hand instinctively drawing to his chest, feeling the heavy pulsating below his palm. Clay wheezes unintentionally closing the gap between them, forcing their faces merely inches apart as Clays' eyes fall to George's parted lips, George anxiously takes a deep breath, fearful of making any movement, the heavy tension that built in his stomach forcing an anxiously good tingle in his stomach, the feeling of Clay's hot minty breath against his face was oddly soothing, of all the times he imagined this happening he never would've guessed he'd be ok with it, maybe he wouldn't be in the future, but at the current second all he wanted was Clay's lips pressed against his. And that's what he got, meeting Clay halfway as their lips collide, Clays' grip falls back onto George's waist, George's hands instinctively drawing to Clay's hair, pulling them indefinitely closer. The intoxicatingly harsh tension of pure bliss and serenity takes over, neither wanting the feeling to never end, wanting this heavily awaited moment to last forever. But as the fireworks came to an end, the sparks fade and George slowly pulls away, His eyes widening after the short moment of silence. What did he just do... 

"We should head back" George mumbles, scratching his neck, Clay drops his grip from George's waist taking a short step backward to allow George to walk. George begins walking down the dark path, Clay following giddily beside him. Neither say a word, too lost in thought at the situation. Clay's giddiness dies down as he takes note of the anxious tension that built whilst observing the brunette's uneasy movements and avoidance of eye contact. They both finally make it back to Clay's car, awkwardly listening to the blaring music along the short drive to George's house. 

"Should we talk about that.." Clay sighs

"Talk about what" George mumbles, they come to a halt at a red light

"Um... The fact that we just kissed" Clays scoffs

"It was a mistake, Clay, I'm straight ok and we're not interested in each other that way, it was just a heat of the moment thing, right?" George's voice pleads with panic as he picks at the skin on his shaking hands, Clay gives a single nod before resuming the silent drive home

"Sorry I made you uncomfortable..." Clay mumbles.

"You didn't, I just... I don't know let's just forget it..." George sighs, fidgeting with his hands anxiously.

"If it didn't make you uncomfortable then technically-"

"Clay- forget it" George quirks a brow evidently hinting at Clay to shut up, He takes note of Georges deadly expression chuckling as he shakes his head

"I was just kidding Georgie calm down" Clay shrugs, George leaves the car without another word and storms into his house rushing to his room, tears stream his face as strangled sobs escape his struggling lungs, how is it that something presumingly wrong felt so right. He didn't know exactly what he was crying over, the fact that he knew it could never happen again, the fact that he did something wrong, the fear of his parents finding out... So many possibilities yet none of them struck out amongst the others. All of them forced an uneasy panic through George's entire body, similar to when he realized he was gay. But as the walls began closing in on him and his lungs refused to give way to the oxygen, stars and dark clouds fell over his vision, the never-ending tears pooled into his palms as he attempted to force the shallow breathes through his mouth, evidently struggling as the wheezes and strangled chokes fill the silent house. The panic doesn't subside until his vision completely gives way, dropping him further into the floor as he blacks out. And as his eyes squint through the achingly bright lights of his open window his thoughts flood back... What's the worst that could happen... It wasn't like Clay would tell anyone, and no one knew his parents so why would it matter...

I'm fine... It'll all be ok He repeats as he pulls himself beneath his covers and into a deep sleep to rid of the worry that ached his entire being. He would do anything to avoid the heart-aching feeling of what would happen if anyone found out. But right now that didn't matter, and as the deep sleep consumed him, it left Clay clueless as to why George had ignored him since the passing night. 

_____________________________

Yay chapter 5, I know it's kinda fast-paced like they've already kissed, I know, but there's a lot to unpack and a lot is coming up to like kinda gotta speedrun it a bit. 

Hope you guys enjoyed it, also hope I'm not losing my touch and the writing is still good bahaha I haven't done anything revolving around using my brain in like a month, so hopefully, it's not too bad. 

Love u all, and hope ur all doing well!!!

HAPPY READING <3