I5I 1994

Ziggy

We stand in front of the mayors house, probably looking like a bunch of criminals. Or escaped psychopaths from the looney bin. Five teenagers and two adults. If we're wrong about this, we're definitely going to jail.

'Who's going to ring the doorbell?' Josh hisses in Deena's ear. 'I vote that Ziggy does it.'

'Why me?' I narrow my eyes. 'You should do it.'

'Wait, where's Deena?' Sam looks around wildly. A suspiciously Deena sized shadow is sneaking around the back of the house.

'Deena!' Kate whisper-yells. 'Get back here!'

Deena doesn't comply.

'I'll get her,' I grumble, scrambling across the lawn. She's already at the back door with her ear pressed against the window.

'Shh,' Deena points inside. 'There's people arguing in there.'

I nod my head, listening to the growing voices.

'-can't tell her!' Someone shouts. 'My job! My reputation will be ruined!'

'Are you really saying your ashamed of us?' This voice is definitely female. Kinda loud. High pitched. Really annoying to listen to. A bit like-

'Sheila, please,' The man's voice sounds tired. 'Would you just calm down?'

'My daughter, Will. She needs to know who her real father is.'

Deena and I look at each other with wide eyes, as the footsteps get closer to the door. 

___

Short chapter but a lot happened 😮