002. 1978

NO ONE COMPARES, YOU STAND ALONE

The consequences of ignoring the one you love are: boredom, painful withdrawal from everyone around you, and utter despair. 

But, if it means she'll be saved this time, I'll endure it. 

Day 1: I spoke to her once, at the door. 

Day 2: I painfully ignored the fact that she spent most of breakfast glancing over at me. 

Day 3: I observed the fact that this Constance is different. And by different, I don't mean it's a bad thing. She's still got the spark of 1666 Constance, but there's an edge of indifference to her. 

Day 4: I sit under the large hanging tree, reading a novel. Perhaps it's a bad omen, perhaps it's not. This particular tree is quite familiar to me, as it greatly resembles the one Constance and I sat in. The one I fell out of, just before confessing my true feelings. 

Sometimes I wonder what became of Sarah and the rest of our town. Did she ever discover who truly summoned the devil? Did she even make it out of Soloman's house that night? 

Loud yelling and chanting makes my head snap up. 

'Right before the witch's final breath, she found a way to cheat her death. She reaches from beyond the grave to make good men her evil slaves!' 

I roll my eyes, setting the book down and standing up. 

'Oh, hello Y/N,' Sheila leers at me, tugging the long rope she's holding. My gaze slowly wanders to the other end of the rope where a very annoyed looking Ziggy is tied up. 'Come to watch the show?' 

My expression hardens. 'Let her go, Shelia.' 

Sheila ignores me, laughing to her friends. 'String her up.' 

The one I recognize as Will, throws the rope over the tree, pulling it until Ziggy's arms are raised above her head. 

'Stop it, stop it, stop it,' Ziggy hisses, trying to get out of the rope. 'Let me go, you little shits!' 

With a satisfied smile, Sheila leans over and plucks ten dollars out of Ziggy's pocket. 'So you did take my money.' 

'Sheila,' I step towards her. 'I'm warning you.' 

'What are you going to do about it, freak?' Sheila steps towards me. 'Maybe you're possessed by Sarah Fier too.' 

I stop in my tracks, frowning. 'Sarah Fier.' 

'The witch,' One of Sheila's followers says loudly. 

'You've never heard of her?' Sheila examines her nails. 'Right before she was hanged, on this very tree, she cursed Shadyside. She was a witch.' Sheila spits at my feet. 

'Sarah Fier wasn't a witch,' I say quietly. 

'And how could you possibly know that?' Sheila asks. 

Because she was my sister. 

They hanged her? For witchcraft? 

Focus, Y/N. 

I shake my head. 'Never mind that.' 

Sheila turns her attention back to Ziggy, getting right up in her face. 'You're possessed. By the witch.' She throws her head back, laughing. 'It's the only way to explain her psycho behavior!' 

'Fuck you!' Ziggy's elbows swing out, catching Sheila in the face. She grunts, wiping the blood trailing down her nose. 'Guess we're even now.' Ziggy smirks. 

'It's alright,' Sheila says, quieting her friends down. 'Sarah Fier got lucky. She was only hanged. She would've died forever if yo undo what your normally to to witches.' 

Anger flashes through my chest. 

'You burn them,' Sheila continues. 'Will, give me your lighter.' 

'What?' 

'Now,' Sheila commands. 

'Sheila, you got your money back,' I say hurriedly. 'The game's over, let her go.' 

'I'm not finished with her yet,' She glares at the redhead. Will reluctantly throws the small silver lighter and Sheila catches it, waving in the air near Ziggy's face. 

'Don't,' Ziggy tries to pull away, wincing. 'No-' 

A small flame ignites at the tip of the lighter. Sheila grins maniacally, holding it closer to Ziggy's outstretched arm. 

'I said, that's enough,' I slap Sheila across the face, causing her to drop the lighter. 

'Shit, look what you did,' Will shouts, running forward to put out the tiny flame that was beginning to burn on a blade of grass. 

My jaw sets as I tug the rope out of the holder's grip. Ziggy's arms fall to her sides and she lands on the ground on her hands and knees. 

'What's going on over here?'