07. 1978

SHE WAS MY STORY. I WAS ONLY A CHAPTER. 

'Nick,' I say, taking deep breaths. 'I don't know why you think you can keep trying to do whatever you're doing, but I'm asking you to stop.' I remove his hand from my shoulder, my mind still reeling from what I saw. 'Honestly, you're really weirding me out.' 

Nick frowns, backing off a couple of steps. 'Fine. I get it, Y/N. I'm sorry.' 

'Not as sorry as you could be,' I mutter under my breath as he walks away. I place my hands on my hips, thinking hard. 

So Sarah was hanged for witchcraft. She and Hannah were both condemned, but only Sarah died, presumably because she confessed. It's utterly selfless of her to do something like that, and look where it got her. Everyone blames her for the unfortunate fate of Shadysiders. No one would believe me if I told them Sarah was innocent. In fact, I would most likely end up in the looney bin. 

I make my way back to the cabin, opening the door. Ziggy's laying in there on her bed. She sits up when she sees me. 

'Oh hey, Sunshine.' She gives me a quick smile. 'Have you seen Abigail, I can't seem to find her anywhere.' 

My mouth drops open and my eyebrows furrow. 'Ziggy...are you okay?' I step over to her. 'Who's...who's Abigail?' 

'My-' Ziggy frowns. 'My...I can't remember.' She winces, grabbing her forehead. 'Ouch.' 

'What's wrong?' I ask. 

'Headache,' She groans. 'Does Nurse Lane have any Tylenol?' 

I shrug. 'They never replaced her after the accident.' I say. 'We could go look.' 

'Sounds good.' Ziggy shakes her head. 'You know that weird thing I told you about before I walked out of the cabin?' 

I nod slowly. 'Yeah...' 

'It happened again,' Ziggy mutters. 'I saw Sarah Fier. I don't really understand what I saw. Wasn't she supposed to be evil or something?' 

I decide not to lie. 'No. Sarah wasn't evil.' 

'How do you know?' Ziggy asks, tilting her head. 

'Tell me what you saw first,' I say, sitting next to her. 'We can get your Tylenol after.' 

Ziggy nods. 'She was about to be hanged...for witchcraft. There was another girl there. Sarah Fier confessed to being guilty.' A strange expression passes over Ziggy's face. 'But she was innocent, wasn't she?' 

I remain silent. 'How do I know that?' Ziggy's mouth parts slightly. 'I don't understand what's happening.' 

'To be completely honest with you, I don't know either.' I place my head in my hands. 'This has never happened before.' 

'What do you mean?' Ziggy raises here eyebrows. 'This is the first time we've ever met.' 

I make direct eye contact with her. 

'No. It's not. Ziggy. You have to remember.' 

If something is different about this time, maybe I can actually save her. There might be a chance something's changed this time around. 

'I know you.' Ziggy takes a deep breath. 'I remember, some things. I've seen Constance before. I was Constance before.' 

I nod slowly. 'Anything else?' 

Something dawns on her. 'And we were-we were-' 

When she leans in to kiss me, I don't stop her. Her hands run up my back to my hair. 

'Right,' I smile slightly. My smile fades as I remember what might happen to her. 'Listen Ziggy, you have to be really careful.' 

'Why?' 

'Do you remember anything from 1766? Or 1866?' I ask. 'I've met you twice there too.' 

Ziggy shakes her head. 'I only remember being Constance in 1666.' 

'There's a curse on us,' I say somewhat bluntly. 'We can never be together, because of what we are.' 

Ziggy swallows. 'I died in 1666 because of it, didn't I?' 

'Yeah,' I nod. 'Right before he killed me, he told me about the curse and the only way I could break it was by spilling his blood.' 

'Who?' Ziggy narrows her eyes. 

I shrug helplessly. 'That's the thing. I don't know. He was wearing a hood that covered his face. My best hunch is that it was the devil himself, and even that is a long shot.' 

'Well, where were you when it happened?' 

'Soloman Goode's house.' I say slowly. 

'I would have to say that your best hunch is Soloman Goode, would you not agree?' Ziggy says. 

My eyes snap back to hers. 'Soloman Goode?' 

Ziggy nods and a faraway expression drifts onto her face. 'Ziggy?' 

She looks over at me slowly. 

'What if Soloman Goode is related to Nick Goode?'