09. 1978

SOMETIMES YOU MUST SACRIFICE FOR THE ONE YOU LOVE 

I shove my hands in my pockets, thoroughly humiliated by the short length of my t-shirt. If I wore this anywhere near the village, I would be hanged on the spot. 

My feet carry me to Nick's counsellor cabin, even when my brain yells loudly for them to stop. With a grimace, I knock on his door. 

He opens it right away, eyes opening wide when they land on me. Subtly, his gaze drifts down me, then back up to my face. 

'Hey,' I squeeze my lips together. 'Can I come in?' 

Nick nods slowly. 'Uh, sure.' 

I walk awkwardly into the cabin, arms stiff at my sides. 

Nick regards me with a slightly concerned expression as he sits down on his bed, crossing his legs. 

'So, what brings you into this wing of camp?' He raises his eyebrows. 

I take the invisible invitation to sit next to him on the bed. Oh god, I can feel the disaster coming. 

'Well,' I sigh. 'I was just thinking..' 

'Thinking...what?' 

Jeez, he's impatient. 

'I was thinking, that maybe I was too-' my left eyebrow twitches, '-harsh?' 

Nick looks straight at me. 

'Okay...harsh in what way?' 

'I didn't really give you a chance,' the words tumble out of my mouth. 'And if I read the 'room' correctly, I think you were going to maybe give me one?' 

'First of all,' Nick leans forward a bit. 'I'm a counsellor, Y/N. So if I were to give you a chance, per se, it would have to be under the radar.' 

'Under the radar,' l bob my head. 'Kay. So-what does that mean, exactly?' 

The corner of his mouth lifts up in a smirk. 

'You're funny, Y/N.' Nick grins at me. 

'Thanks...' 

'I think we should get to know each other more,' His eyes flick up to mine. 'Does that work for you?' 

'I think,' I put on my best fake smile. 'I think there's no need to take things slow.' 

Hating my pathetic life, I place my hands around his neck, bringing my lips to his. I can feel his smile, which makes me want to pull away. Dear lord, if this wasn't for Ziggy- 

Nick's breaths start coming out a bit laboured as he runs his hands down my back. I cringe into his arms, mentally wishing for this to be over. 

Come on, where's my vision? 

'Okay, maybe a bit slower than that,' I gasp, as his hands find my thighs. Nick stops, leaning back. 

'Oh sorry, too fast?' He sighs. 

I take his hand-

'You and I are the same,' A voice breathes in my ear. 

'I'm nothing like you,' Sarah hisses back. 

'Y/N?' Nick asks. 'Were you going to say something?' 

'No,' I say quickly. 'It's fine.' 

He nods. 

'Alright then.' 

Slowly, he leans in again, tugging gently at my hair. 

The visions flash wildly in front of my eyes. 

I see Sarah, pulled back into the house by a shadowy figure as I run through the cellar. A man with a long pointed cap pulled over his entire face. The widow's throat slit as the book is stolen. I hear the magical words spoken. Words to summon the devil himself. 

And then- 

'Did you hear that?' Hannah whispers to me. 

My mouth opens, and I automatically know what to say, even though these aren't my memories. 

'Yes,' I glance around. 'Someone is out here.' 

Another flash, and I'm in the tavern. But I'm not me. I'm Sarah. 

I reach towards the book, looking through the pages. It is open to the very familiar page which contains the curse. The curse that grants power to one individual, but requires a heavy sacrifice. The turn of a page brings me to a new enchantment. The curse of the two lovers. 

FORBIDDEN INFATUATION

IN WHICH TWO INDIVIDUALS WILL BE FORCED APART FOR ALL OF ETERNITY. ONE, DESTINED TO BE FOREVER REBORN, THE OTHER DESTINED FOR DEATH AND MEMORY REGRESSION. 

EVOL REVEROF TUB  REVEN TEEM NI LANRETE SSENIPPAH

ONLY WHEN THE PROVOKER HAS HIS BLOOD SPILT, WILL THE CURSE BE DESTROYED. 

I turn around, horrified about what I have just learnt, to see. 

'Soloman Goode,' I whisper, pulling away. 

'What?' Nick frowns, startled. 'I didn't hear you.' 

'I'm sorry, Nick. I have to go.' I stand up, brushing my shirt off. 'Really, sorry. Let's uh-continue this another time. Kay?' 

'Yeah,' Nick swallows hard. 'Sure. Anytime.' 

In your dreams, asshole.