004. 1978

WHEN I CLOSE MY EYES, I ONLY SEE YOU.

'Hey, uh, I just wanted to say..thanks for back there,' An all too familiar voice says. I look up from my book, turning over onto my side. The camp beds are far less comfortable than the one's at Sheila's house..regrettably.

My mouth opens, but nothing comes out. Ziggy clears her throat. 

'Yeah. Not a problem.' I roll back over, trying to focus on the words. They seem to swim in front of my eyes. 

'Can I ask you something?' Ziggy persists, sitting down on her bed. The cabin is empty, as the other kids have already gone to their activities. It's just us. 

Just us. 

'You just did,' I say in a hopefully bored tone. 

'Why do you hate me so much?' She tucks her hair behind her ears, locking eye contact. 'I mean, we've never even met before.' 

'I don't hate you,' I look away. 'I don't.' 

'Then why do you keep ignoring me?' She continues. 'I-it's not like you have other friends, so I just thought-' 

'You thought what?' I push my book to the side. 'Look, I know I haven't been the friendliest, but it's not like you are either. You don't seem to like anyone here, not a single person...You hate Sheila, and the other Sunnyvalers, so why are you so interested in me?'

'You know, I was just trying to be nice,' Ziggy rolls her eyes. 'But if you just have this vendetta against me, I'm not going to try and change your mind. And honestly, I'm not that interested in you.' 

'Constance, I-' My eyes widen and I bite my tongue. 

Ziggy's eyebrows crease. 'It's Ziggy.' 

'I know.' I stand up, leaving the cabin. 

The door slams shut behind me, but I can still feel her confusion. 

How could I make such a careless mistake? I lean my head back against a post, sliding to the ground. I hate this. 

'Y/N?' Nick's voice says from above me. 'Are you okay?' 

'Yeah,' I nod. 'Just, leave me alone.' 

'Is this about earlier?' He asks. 

'No.' 

'Then...' 

'I said, I'm fine.' I say, standing up. I turn to leave but he grabs my arm. 

'Wait-' 

As soon as his hand makes contact I'm back in 1666. 

'It was you. You made a deal with the devil,' Sarah's voice says. 

'Sarah?' I breathe, but I'm surrounded by darkness. I can't see her, or who she's talking to. 

A scream rings through the air, then silence. 

'We are nothing alike.' Her voice mutters. 'I will never be like you.' 

I gasp, pulling away. 

I saw her. 

I saw Sarah Fier.