I2I 1994

#kate deserved better 

Who's with me? 

Y/N

I don't want to open that door. I don't want to open that door. I don't want to open-

'Are you going to get that?' Ziggy asks slowly, looking between me and the door. How many seconds have gone by since the doorbell rang? Has it been more than a minute? What if they're already gone? 'Noted,' Ziggy nods, walking over and opening it. 

'Hi,' Deena's familiar voice says, she walks into the room without an invitation, which is about the most Deenaish thing she could have ever done. 'Thank you for seeing us.' 

Sam, Simon, and Josh follow her. And then she walks in. 

Kate. 

She looks the same as she always did, hair dark as ebony, curled at the ends to perfection. She always complained about her curler, and how the ends never matched up. Slightly crooked ponytail. Only this time, she and Josh are holding hands. 

Sure, I'm over her. But I can still be sad about what might happen to her by the end of the night.

'Mrs. Brown?' Deena clarifies, interrupting the awkward silence. 'It's uh, nice to meet you.' 

'I wish it were under better circumstances,' I dip my head quickly. 'And, you don't have to call me Mrs. Brown, just Y/N is fine.' 

'Why did you used to go by Y/N Brown?' Ziggy asks. 

'Just when I was living with Sheila,' I wave it off. 

'Sheila Brown?' Sam frowns. 'That's my Mom's name.'