Play It Cool - John B

A/N:
This chapter is inspired by the song "Play It Cool" by Seth Ennis.

Little background on this story:
John B and Y/N did date in the past but things unfortunately, didn't work out. So now as they're in the same friend group, John B's feelings for her start to rekindle.

May Contain: M/F, Fluff, Feels.
____________________________________

"Hey, do you remember that day? We went down in flames, then went our separate ways"

The relationship between Y/N and John B was short and sweet. Unfortunately, they both decided that they should just end it due to wrong timing and John B's inability to allow himself to commit.

Y/N and John B shared the same friend group and have ever since the group started to come together. However, after the relationship had ended it was slightly awkward and painful for Y/N. So, the pair took in turns to see the group as they just needed some time apart before they could come back together as friends.

____________

Tonight would be the first time in a month and a half that John B and Y/N would come together with the rest of the group to have a bonfire.

As the group, not including Y/N, sat around the fire, talking, laughing and enjoying each other's company, to say they were excited to be complete again was pretty spot. Y/N hadn't arrived yet as she had a late shift at the Country Club but should be arriving in about fifteen minutes. As an extremely nervous John B sat there with the group, he seemed to be the only one not joining in with the conversation going on. He couldn't stop rehearsing what he would say to her in his head when she showed up. Will he ask her if she has moved on and got herself a boyfriend or is that too personal to ask? He couldn't pretend that seeing her again isn't something he was hoping for and has thought about every day since they had split. He knew he made a big mistake when he ended things with the Y/L/N girl.

Fifteen minutes later and Y/N had shown up...

As she got out of her car, a bottle of whiskey in her hand, she headed over to the rest of the group to join in on the fun. When the Routledge boy looked up from staring at his beer can, he saw her and instantly froze. Was she always this hot? It felt as if she had thrown his heart onto the fire. How was he meant to play it cool now...

As Y/N sat down in the chair opposite to John B, on the other side of the fire, she gave him a small smile and started answering the questions JJ had been asking her about her shift since they work at the same place. John B nervously smiled back and went back to playing with the entrance of the can. Trying his hardest to not look at her for too long as she took his breath away.

After a short while, he decided that he would face his fears and join in on the conversation. When he started to join in, he made eye contact with Y/N and his eyes drifted from hers to her lips as she was taking a swig from her bottle of whiskey. 'Oh those plump cinnamon lips...I just want to kiss them. How am I meant to be resist them when all I do is miss them?', John B thought to himself. He knew he was doing a bad job at playing it cool but, can you honestly blame the poor boy? So he did was he thought was best, he started to drink more of the can of beer that has been sitting in his hands for the past twenty or so minutes. This would be his fifth beer for tonight.

To say he was the only one feeling this way would be a huge fat lie. Y/N has had similar thoughts about the boy and playing it cool was hard for her as well. She genuinely missed the boy very much and it did make a huge impact on her when they did split because she started to fall for the Routledge boy.

As they both continued to drink, the more they became foolishly confident and that's when they decided that they would finally talk for the first time.

"If I told you everything, everything I wanna say. Would you listen to me babe and tell me if you feel the same way?"

John B decided to go first by saying she looked incredible tonight in which she said he 'didn't look too bad himself'. As they chatted back and forth for a bit, catching up on the month and a half that they didn't speak. That's when John B made the move to spill his feelings out on the table and see if she still felt the same way about him...

He was ready this time to commit.

____________________________________

What did we think??? I'm so glad that I finally got to use a country song for a chapter!

Comment below what songs you'd like in a chapter and I'll see what I can do!

Thank you for reading 🤍