78| Red

A/N: this chapter contains heavy mention of blood!

Be kind to yourselves, please!

Days turned into weeks and far too quickly December had arrived – and we were all settling into an uneasy winter that brought fierce winds and bitter storm clouds

I sat awake most nights in the kitchen of Number 12 Grimmauld Place with my Auror books in hand. Training became longer and more difficult, I was regularly on night shifts, and would return home in the morning before going back again in the afternoon.

Remus was frequently gone out on Order missions, on Dumbledore's orders, as were the other members.

I felt strange to not feel his arms wrapping around me, or not hearing the soft sounds of his breathing that led me to sleep.

All of us were tired.

All of us were stressed.

But we couldn't give up so easily.

A war was happening outside, and only a number of people believe that Voldemort is rising to power again.

And it was the Order's job to make sure that all the dark activity must be stopped.

Once and for all.

Tonks and I were strolling down the path that led towards a door, wands loosely gripped in our hands.

It was late and I caught myself yawning and muffling it with my hand.

And then, as I looked to my side, I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck rising.

Something was wrong.

I could hear a scream. Barely noticable to hear but I was sure I heard it. Coming from the Department of Mysteries.

"Did you hear that?" I asked Tonks.

"Hear what? I didn't hear anything –" she said incredulously.

And then, I heard it again.

But this time, much louder.

"Oh God, who's on shift, tonight?" she asked, pale-faced and eyes bulged as we stopped in our places.

I stayed silent for a while, before going even more pale than before, "ARTHUR!" I yelled in horror, quickly running towards the door.

"Hey, Selene wait!" Tonks yelped from behind me.

Our footsteps echoed against the stone as we slipped in through the door that led to the Department of Mysteries. My heart was pounding fast, my blood running cold I was panicked for about a moment, thinking that the prophecy was unprotected.

"You're not dead, you're not dying today Arthur." I heard a faltering voice of a woman coming from the dark, eerie hallway. My eyes were on a familiar mop of ebony hair, and realized it was Ana, who was kneeling before a bundle of clothes discarded on the floor.