15| Holidays

Soon enough, December had arrived so quickly

Soon enough, December had arrived so quickly. Twinkling snowflakes began to fall from the sky, and the grounds that were covered in thick layers of snow. The holiday extravaganzas were dawning very quickly on people and were infectious.

It was already a week away before Christmas and the Great Hall was crammed to the brink with vivacious and colorful Christmas ornaments. Mistletoe and Holly were hanging off every surface.

There were two grand Christmas trees were placed in each corner of the Great Hall. In the common room, Christmas socks were hanging off the warm fireplace.

Hogwarts had never looked so Christmassy and vivacious before, and I absolutely loved it.

The days had passed since my encounter with Snape, but I avoided him constantly. During dinners, I avoided the harsh eye contact he made, bending my head down whenever he passed by my seat. To the point that I refused to attend Potions Class.

It-it was just irritating.

"Hey Selene, have you heard about the ball they're throwing on Monday?" Monica piped up, as the two of us walked down the snowy road of Hogsmeade Road, on our way to the Three Broomsticks.

The streets were already dark and the number of students in the village were decreasing, considering that it was almost time for dinner.

Dumbledore had planned a ball for the fifth, sixth and seventh years on Monday, December 20th to be exact. Since he thought that the year had already been stressful for us and thought that we deserved some time for fun.

(A/n: quick interruption! I know that there is no ball mentioned in the books until Goblet of Fire. But I decided that this story needed some things that are not canon yet enjoyable. This'll be much like the Yule Ball, except there are no students from Durmstrang or Beauxbatons ofc ;) Anyways let's continue...)

"Oh yeah, I sure am excited." said Luke, tying his scarf tighter since it was very cold.

I was ecstatic, I was excited at the chance that I would be dancing, and wearing a ball gown, feeling like a royal in the stories I read throughout my youth.

"Have you guys got any dates yet?" Ollie asked, the three of us shaking our heads in response.

"Do you?" Monica said.

"I asked Katie out this afternoon, well she said yes." Ollie said, a broad smile tugging his lips.

"Oh, Monica could you just do me a small favor?" Luke said, wrapping an arm around Monica. "Could you help me prepare for the ball."

She rolled her eyes. "Er, what will I do then?"

"Be my date." said Luke sheepishly.

I shot my head upwards, so did Ollie. Monica's cheeks seem to blush and turn pink, and she had a silly smile on her face, putting a strand of her hair behind her red ears.

"Yes." she muttered, Luke grabbed her hand and the two jogged to the castle, holding hands as they laughed and giggled giddily.

Ollie snickered at the sight and followed after, and I was left behind, walking casually with a small grin and my arms crossed.

I was the only one left without a partner. Ollie had Katie. Luke had Monica.

Later that night after dinner, I brought up my courage and went to Remus's office. I asked him if he had heard about the ball and asked him would he be going but unfortunately, he completely dismissed the idea even though I didn't ask him to go out with me. He told me that there was a hundred percent chance that he would most likely be absent and even if he did attend, he'd only be there as a chaperone.

It really hit me hard at his words. He was so cold about the topic, and it made me lose all hope and lose my excitement for the ball. It hurt, really hurt. I felt as though I didn't wanna attend the ball anymore and I'd be better off watching in the distance, alone.

A/n: hey guys! sorry if this chapter is short and not as long as you expected. But I promise, the next one will be exciting!

Comment, vote, follow!

Love,

Jazl