Chapter 41

(what is your favorite movie?)

Lizzie's POV

Walking down the sidewalks of New York, Y/n holds my hand. Our fingers intertwined perfectly. My hand being the only part of my body, which is warm. The cold weather having a lot to do with that.

We come across a street musician with a small group of people around him. Intrigued, I led her over to them. When we stop I feel her hug me from behind, resting her lips on my shoulder, revealing she's just as cold as I am.

People around us watched him play All Of Me by John Legend. I lean back into Y/n causing her to rest her head against mine. The feeling couldn't get any better than this. Time seemed to be the last thing on our minds and the whole world faded into the background, leaving us with nothing but each other.

Once the man was done we continued our walk. "What will happen now that it's all over?" I ask. She tilts her head confused. "The movie. Will we still be together or will we move on. Will we just be a moment we both look back on once in a while.?" I ask.

She stops forcing me to as well. "I don't want to be just one moment with you." She says. Y/n reaches for my other hand, now rubbing her thumbs on the back of my palms. "I want all the moments, or at least the rest of them." She says. "And a fish." She adds randomly. "I want a fish and we can name it bubbles." She says only earning a smile from me. I just stand and stare at her, with warmth filling my heart. "What about you? What do you want?" Y/n asks.

"You." I didn't need any time to think about it, because I already know. She pulls my hands to her mouth and places a kiss on both of them. "Then I'll be all yours." She says as a promise.

__________
Beep^Beep^Beep....

My eyes slowly open and the hospital room starts to fade slowly into view. The memory of us warming my heart still. Next to me a nurse is pumping something into my arm. "Hey, welcome back." The nurse whispers with a smile. "You really found yourself a keeper. Little L/n, hasn't left your side since they rolled you in." The nurse whispered again. I look to the other side of the bed to see Y/n sleeping in a pulled up chair with her head resting on the bed. My hand in hers.

"You're going to be hospitalized for a few days

"You're going to be hospitalized for a few days. Just to make sure the smoke didn't do any damage to your lungs." The nurse says softly as she leaves towards the door.

"Wait, what about Shan?" I ask, before coughing. The nurse turns back to me. "She's fine, thanks to you. Shan's not my patient but Y/n asked if I could give her updates hourly." She says, keeping her volume low. "You must be really special if Y/n won't even leave your side to check on her best friend, herself." The nurse added.

"How do you know them?" I ask, confused. "The three of us go way back when I was Y/n's mother's nurse. Shan and Y/n were so small and cute back then. The two would make short movies on this old video camera, just to play them for Ms. L/N." The nurse chuckles. I look down to her as she still sleeps. "Her mother was sick?" I ask, not looking away from Y/n.

"Try not to pull anyone shit like running into fires, again. Losing people is the hardest thing to do in one's life and Y/n has already lost so much." The nurse says. I watch the nurse walk out of the room.

My throat feels so dry. I try to reach for the cup of water on the tray table but end up dropping it on the floor. Fuck, I mentally slap my head as Y/n jumps up startled. "Hey." I say, awkwardly. "Hi." She breathes, relieved. She looks down at the cup on the floor. "I was trying to get some water." I informed her. She nods, reaching down for the cup. She sets it down, grabbing a handful of napkins.

Suddenly the door rushes open and my mom with all three of my blood siblings rush in. "Elizabeth, are you okay! Oh my god you're all over the news! I thought you were dead. What is wrong with you. Are you stupid. What kind of idiot runs into a burning building?" They all speak over each other. I can even tell who's talking. Just then my dad and his wife and his two other children walk in.

Oh no. The room goes silent before everyone starts talking over each other again. "What are you doing here? You're not even her real mom. Nobody asked you to come." It hasn't even been 10 seconds and they are already arguing. A sharp whistle earns the silence again. "Um hi." Y/n says awkwardly, while I realize this is the first impression she has of my family. "Can you all talk about this outside?" She asks politely. "Who even are you? You're not her family. If anyone can leave it's you. This is a family matter." They all ramble again.

"Okay, enough!" Y/n raises her voice aggravated. "I get it, you all care about Lizzie, but arguing with one another isn't showing it. Work through your family issues another time, because this isn't about you." She snaps. Y/n turns to me with a forced smile. "I'm going to let you have some time with your family..." She hands me a water bottle, before kissing me on the forehead and leaving the room.