Chapter 40

(Working Alone Or Working In A Team?)

Y/n's POV

"I obviously let you win." I say as I step out of the water completely soaked in ocean water. "Sure, Loser." Lizzie taunts. The soaked shirt sticks to her body revealing her curves. She slowly walks backwards towards the posts that hold up the pier. she used her finger to motion me to her. I knew what she was doing but a bet is a bet. 

Lizzie presses her back to one of the posts and holds her hand stopping me from coming any closer. I press into her hand but she doesn't budge. "Baby." I say it like it's a sentence. When she drops her hand I waste no time grabbing her face and pulling her to me. Our lips latch onto each other’s and nothing will ever feel better than this.

"We should bring this to the car." I smile. she shakes her head. "I'm in charge tonight." She reminds me. I look around our surroundings and further down the beach looks like some teenagers having a bonfire. "Yeah, we should probably bring this to the car." Lizzie says. I chuckled as she took my hand and led me towards the parking lot. She climbs into the back seat and pulls me in with her. As soon as I shut the door my phone starts to ring. 

It doesn’t surprise me that she chose to ignore it and pull me down onto her. But that's when…

*Ring *Ring* 

...her phone started ringing. She moves her arms under my shirt and pulls it over my head. Our lips only break away for a short moment.

*Ring* Ring*

Lizzie throws her head back against the seat cushion out of frustration. I sit up and reach through the seats, grabbing my phone out of the drink holder. When I answer Lizzie takes it from me. “This is Ms. Y/l/n’s phone. Can I take a message?” She says with a smile. Lizzie bites her bottom lip while sliding her hand down my body, slowly. She stops at my pants button wiggling her fingers between the fabric and my skin, aggressively jerking me forward. 

Within a second her whole mood changes. “Yeah, I’ll tell her.” Lizzie says before hanging up. “What’s wrong?” I ask, concerned. “Um? Your house is on fire and the fire department is  on the way.” My eyes widened. I waste no time climbing into the driver's seat and starting the car.

----------------------

I step out of the car and there are flashing lights everywhere. The fire’s visible from all the way down the street. People are all watching out of curiosity. The house is just a house but I suddenly remember I have a pet fish. Oh no my fish! I walk slowly towards the wooden barricade stands, slightly in shock. Lizzie follows close behind me. When I try to cross, an officer stops me. “I live here.” I can only form a few words. Behind him I can see Max standing with her hands on her mouth, fear written on her face. I duck under his arm and run over to her. “Hey, do you know what happened?” I ask. Max wraps her arms around me tightly. The police escort Ashley towards the squad car, while she looks at me with a smile. I can feel Max’s body shake as she cries against mine.

I rub her back. “Everythings okay.” I assure her not breaking eye contact with Ash. “We got something!” The firmen yell. They all rush around, men housing the house, others putting on gear and a few EMT’s pulling out a stretcher. I pull back slightly to see what’s the commotion. Just as they are about to enter, a wooden pillar falls blocking the entrance.

“It’s unsafe! Everyone fall back!” The fire chief calls the order. Max pulls away from me and rushes to him. “No! No, you have to go in there. My friend’s are inside!” Max freaks out. Me and Lizzie meet each other's gaze of confusion. “I’m sorry, I can’t risk the lives of my men.” The chief says, walking away. 

“Y/N do something!” Max cries falling to her knees. I look at the house, lowering myself to her level, while placing my hand on her shoulder. “Max…. Who's in there?”

 Who's in there?”