Chapter Forty Three: The Safe Choice

Start from the beginning

I dried my eyes composing myself to a slow calm. I met his concerned gaze. There are good men in this world. He's right here! I don't have to struggle to feel love and warmth. He's right here!

"I don't want a friend." I held one side of his face. "I want a man who will love me with all my imperfections and he won't set conditions for his love. I want a man who will stay put no matter what happens. I want you."

I held his face so that I can kiss him. I have had enough of waiting. I can't wait for Ferrer anymore. I'll die old and alone chasing after him and his insecurities. I deserve to be happy and I'm giving this man a chance to show me happiness.

"Katya," he breathed hard. "Does this mean we are together? No more games?"

"If you take me as I am, pregnant and the mother of an almost teenage mob boss, yes. We are together Federov." I laughed lightly.

"Perfect!" He kissed me over and over again. "This is perfect! I'm so happy!"

He started singing and he called all his staff to announce how happy he is.

I hope I can learn to love this man. He deserves my love.

*
It's been a while since I slept through the night. It feels almost unusual to sleep this comfortably. The bed could have something to do with it. The soft cotton sheets wrapped around me are possibly adding to my comfort. Or maybe it's the man on the other side of the bed. Oh that man! Last night he made sure I couldn't feel my legs. I turned away from the beautiful view of the garden to face him. He's sound asleep.

We made love.

It didn't feel wrong. I didn't feel a need to be faithful to Ferrer. He dumped me. He made it clear he wants nothing to do with me. I'm not playing any more games with him. I'm moving on. I touched his arm tracing a tattoo just beneath his shoulder. A small smile grew on his handsome face. Why has he been single for this long? "Katya... It's early. Why are you awake?"

"I don't know." I laughed. "I ran out of sweet sleep."

"You must need help to go back to sleep." He got on top of me swiftly. He is skilled at making love to a woman. I have to credit him for that. Right after we made love, I slept soundly till this moment. If we do it again I may just wake up at noon.

"Maybe. But I just remembered something. I didn't call my son. He must be worried."

I reached for my phone. There's a missed call from Alexei. Ferrer and I took Terr's phone. I don't think he has any way of reaching me unless through Alexei. I sat up as Federov did too. I'll send him a text letting him know I'm fine.

"About your son, maybe I should tell him we are together." He put on his pajama pants.

I don't mind seeing him naked a moment longer. He's eye candy.

"No, I'll tell him." He needs to hear it from me.

I think Terrence would like it if things work out between me and his father. They won't and he needs to hear that from me.

"But Katya, he should also hear it from me before he orders a hit on me for messing around with his mother!"

I bit back the laughter because of how serious he looks. "Are you afraid of Terrence?"

"He's Leonid's apprentice!"

People think my father has always mentored Terrence. They don't know that he didn't even have a few months with the boy. I can let the lies continue. They should fear him. I don't operate on a respect platform. People who respect you can disrespect you eventually. Fear, paralyzing fear keeps people in line. I want my son to be feared for as long as it will last.