Chapter Sixteen: Not A Lawyer Or A Doctor

"Don't be a hero... don't be a hero..." I whispered as I walked past a fighting couple. I don't like men who bully women. I think they are cowards incapable of picking on their fellow species. They target women because they think we are weak and make for easy targets. "Don't be a hero Katya."

I dropped a box of files in the back seat of my car. They are still arguing. He's pushing her around. I can't not be a hero. To a woman being harassed by a man, I must be. This is how Kei and I became friends.

"Hey! Back off!" I called out to him.

He must have mistaken my reluctance to get close as weakness but it's for his son good.

"Piss off! It does not concern you!"

"Miss, are you alright?" I inquired as I got closer wielding a crowbar behind my back. She nodded but her eyes said something else. "I'm going to ask you once. Back away."

"What will you do about it barbie?"

Now he's insulting me.

He lunged at me with balled fists. Papa says the bigger they are the harder they fall. I don't like being estimated. I got out of his way. I kicked his behind to propel him to hard fall. I knelt on his back with crowbar pressing against the front of his neck. "Hush now. Stay still. Listen buddy. It's not cool to beat up a woman. I'm feeling generous today so I'll let it slide."

I picked his pocket to retrieve a wallet. He got up fast uncertain whether to attack me or not. "Peter Holt." I looked at him after memorizing the details of his driving license. "I know where you live."

I dropped it on the floor for him to pick up.

The woman offered me an appreciative smile. I winked at her. We have to have each other's backs. It's va male dominated world. We can't afford not to take care of each other.

The thought of male world domination came with Nick texting me demanding that we meet. He's not even asking if I have time. He seems to think everyone drops everything at his orders.

I'm planning to go home and work. Anderson has been weird. She keeps accusing me of not picking up my slack. She never has a problem with me missing work but lately she won't let up. She's constantly picking on me.

At the back of my mind I'm thinking about Ferrer. That moment we shared at his house was nothing short of beautiful. I smiled to myself as I pulled up at a red light. It's pretty late at night. There's only a handful of vehicles around. 

I reached for my phone.

Me:
Sorry buddy, not available tonight.

I sent the message to Nick.

"Come on already, change to green!" I tapped my hand on the wheel.

A bike pulled up beside me. I didn't think much of it until another one pulled up on my right. I held the wheel tightly. The light moved to orange. They raved their bikes both of them looking my way. I raved my car ready to go. Just before the light turned green, I stepped on the gas to propel the Porsche forward. I sped up trying to see if they would follow. They did rather faithfully maintaining their positions on either side of my car. I swerved to the left forcing the one on that side to veer off to a different road moving up.

I reached into the glove compartment. I took out my gun. I lowered the window and the bastard fired the first shot. He missed but I didn't. He rolled away possibly lifeless. I looked up for a second and the other rider was coming towards me firing shots that broke through the windshield. I accelerated and I ran him over. I slowed down when I felt pain. I looked below my left shoulder. I have been shot.