Chapter Twenty Six: What Happened To Ferrer?

A/n: Katya and Katerina have teamed up to find Ferrer. Their lead didn't pan out because they didn't get much out of her. Joe I am certain you guys are asking yourselves 'where is Ferrer?' I asked myself the same question this morning when I realized that I didn't mention what happened to him. Tsk tsk tsk. No worries.

Let's find out.

I'm going back a few days before Leonid Romanov picks up Terrence. After Ferrer's POV I'm picking up where the last chapter ends.

Ferrer's POV
"Stay calm." I whispered to myself as I walked along the snowy path leading to tge parked car. "Stay calm."

The armed guards notice me and I tried not to show them how terrified I am. Every day, there's one car that parks in front of the house. From the bedroom, I can observe much. The driver consistently leaves the key in the ignition. If my observation is correct, then this is my way out of here. He took my passport and all my travel documents but that doesn't matter as much. If I can get away from him and get my hands on a phone, I can call Nick to get me.

I lingered a few feet why of the car. Leonid and Alexei left early this morning. I have been on my own with a few guards who don't seem to pay much attention when their bosses are not around. The ones closest to the car are looking at a magazine. Is it just me or are they not paying attention to the doctor planning to escape?

It feels like they are pretending not to look!

I can't pass off the chance.

I races for the car, got inside and started the engine. Before they could do anything, I drove off. I have no idea where I am or where I'm going but once I get past the gate, I'm free. I think I will be. The guards at the gate jumped out of the way when they realized I have no intention of slowing down. The SUV went through the gate. I lost control of it but gradually recovered.

They are not chasing me!

Why aren't they chasing me?

This is too easy.

I have to get to a phone and call Nick. I'll ask him to make sure Lorraine and Terrence are safe from the repercussions of my actions. Romanov was clear about what happens if I try to escape. He will kill the woman I love and my son. It can't happen. I also can't remain in his grip. It's been days since the surgery. He's fine but he still insists I should stay and work for him. I'm not big on commitment and that is one I'll be er make.

I stopped at a gas station. I spotted a payphone. I went through all the compartments of the car and found some coins. I also found a gun. I picked it up only to drop it back in the glove compartment. I checked around to make sure I'm not in any danger of getting caught before I went to the payphone. I have Nick's number memorized. He didn't pick up. He's such a paranoid man he doesn't answer calls from an unknown number. I tried Lorraine's but it didn't go through. If anything,her number has been disconnected. I tried Nick again and just when he picked up, a policeman tapped my shoulder.

I hanged up to pay attention to the man with a hostile expression.

He addressed me in Russian. I can't understand the language.

"In English please. I'm sorry but I don't speak Russian. What are you saying?"

He pointed to the car. "You came out from that car."

"Yes. Is there a problem?"

"Come." He walked towards the car. A strong instinct advised me to run. I looked to my left and to my right and in both directions there are policemen. This is y right. I accompanied him to the car. "Open."