Chapter Thirty Nine: The Gift

Katya's POV
"This is not clever. Alexei will follow."

"I'll cross that bridge and hen I get there." I paced around the bedroom picking a few things as my mother watched. "How was it with Nick?"

I felt a little hot. I paced to the window, cracking it open a little. "Fine. We talked."

"My addressed in case you need me." She tapped on a small sheet of paper. I stashed it in my pocket. "Katya, slow down a little. I want to talk to you."

"Yeah?"

"You're not dealing. Your father is dead. Your son became the boss. Your boyfriend dumped you. You're pregnant. These are major things that need to be processed one a time."

"I don't have time."

"You have to grieve for your father. There's nothing wrong with that. You two had a strange relationship and it's okay. You need to accept that Ferrer is fickle and move on. Either stay single or find someone else. You have to deal with the fact that Terrence did the new boss and it won't change. And finally, start making plans on how you're raising this baby. Being all over the place doesn't help. One thing at a time.'

"Thanks." I shrugged.

She kissed my forehead. "I love you. Try not to lose this baby when you're fighting with Alexei."

I'm not even thinking about the baby anymore. I just want to get Terrence far away from Alexei. I looked around the apartment. My lease is up and I'm not renewing it.

I heard the front door. Mom must have forgotten something. I forgot to thank her for being around. She has really helped me out.

"What did you forget?" I asked after the footsteps stopped.

"Hey."

Nick's voice startled me. "Hey. What are you doing here?"

He looked around the apartment. There are packed boxes all around. "Are you leaving?" He kept his arms behind his back.

"Something like that."

"This is for you." He revealed a black box.

Nick is giving me a gift! This is new!

I opened the black box to see a vintage gun. "Oh wow! I like this! Is it French?"

"You guessed it."

Now this is a thoughtful gift! It's not the stereotype kind where a man thinks all women love jewelry! No one has ever bought me a gun before.

"I'm going to frame this."

"That's great." He smiled fleetingly. The warmth of his palm found my cheek. My temperature immediately rose. I set the box down on the bed. He used his thumb to graze my lips. My heart beat steadily rose as his eyes searched mine. What is he doing? My mind is freaking out but my body is getting excited.

He bent his head. I can't move. I feel glued to the spot. His forehead touched mine. His hot breath touched my cheeks as he chose to tilt my head. I felt that warmth in my ear and my neck as his other hand firmly gripped the my waist. For some reason, I can't move unless he wills it. What is he doing to me? His dangerous lips grazed my neck. I whimpered at the feathery contact. I heard him breathe hard as his hand left my waist to squeeze my bottom. He looked at me to gauge my reaction.

In one swift move he pushed me to fall on the bed. He got in between my legs pretty fast pinning my wrists above my head. There's a lot of conflict in his eyes... torment even. His eyes settled on the rise and fall of my chest. "Tell me to stop. Please... Katya, tell me to stop."