Chapter Four: Rude Awekenings

Katya's POV
I woke up this morning in high moods. I even picked up a cake from his favorite bakery. He didn't tell me that is his favorite bakery. I sort of stalk him sometimes just to see what he is up to. It makes me wonder about Nick's stalker. Is that woman obsessed with him? She didn't seem like she wanted to hurt anyone. But every time I think about her a cold chill rushes through me.

I blinked away the thoughts, patiently waiting for Ferrer to come back home. He runs for an hour every morning at exactly 6 am. He is usually back in a hour or sometimes earlier. I peeked at the mocha cake in the white box. I smiled to myself with pride. I'm taking Kei's advice to actually just talk to the man instead of picking fights. A conversation at 7am isn't so bad. He seems like a morning person.

He lives in the same neighborhood the rest do. It's all the way in the Hamptons. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn. It's not glamorous. It's the perfect cover. It's simple and in a middle-class neighborhood. I only come to the Hamptons to see Kei or to pick up Terrance. My son loves it here. Ferrer is never home. He has a penthouse in Manhattan, close to the hospital. If he's not working at the hospital then he's at the oncology center or at his penthouse. This beautiful mansion by the beach is more of a place he stops by occasionally. I noted that the bedroom light is on. If I didn't see him running off, I would think he's home.

I went over my notes of what to say to him. I'm going to be nice to him. I won't bring up the paternity test or the child support nor will I ask him to step up and be a dad. I'll just be nice and let the conversation flow. If I do this repeatedly, maybe we can find some common ground of understanding.

I checked my watch, fighting the impatience to let myself into his house. I don't want to upset him. It's only a few minutes to seven and I'll have to be a little more patient.

In due time, I caught sight of him running back towards the house. He spotted me and he slowed down gradually until he reached me all breathless. He wanted to say something but he stopped to catch his breath. I hope Terrance will be this tall. I'm not short either but I just want him to be like his dad. Maybe that will help their relationship even if it's the little things that bind them.

"Good morning." I tried not to chirp like a crazy bird.

"Do you want my house next?" He asked me with irritation in his pretty hazel eyes. "Hmm? Do you want my house?"

My smile faded. He is already fuelling me to start. "No Ferr. I don't want your house. I like my apartment thank you."

"Then what do you want?"

"I want to talk. I was hoping we could have breakfast together."

He glanced at the box and even opened it. He smiled when he saw the cake. But his smile vanished. "I can't eat anything you give me. You are the most devious woman I know." He laughed. "Please get off my property before I call the police."

"I'm on the side walk baby boo." I pointed to the mere inches that separate me from his property line. "I'm not here to cause trouble, I promise. I just want to have breakfast with my son's father."

"It's not me!" His eyes widened. "Stop being loco! One moment you threaten to drag me through the mud and the next you want to have breakfast? I don't want that."

He turned away and I stepped into his property following him until a woman opened the front door. That is when I stopped. She is wearing his shirt. He greeted her with a deep kiss on her lips to send a message to me. I gripped the box more firmly. Pain crept into my heart especially when she smiled at me and closed the door.

He never even looked back.

I stood there processing the shock of disappointment for a few minutes before I left. I dropped the cake in the bin next to the sidewalk along with the notes for conversation.