Chapter Twenty Eight: Leverage

Ferrer's POV
After each evening meal, I mark the wall of my jail cell. It helps me keep track of the days. They are beginning to crash into each other. It's dark and gloomy all the time. Because of the fights I was forced into, I have been denied the privilege of going outside. The only thing I'm missing out on are gloomy skies and sub zero temperatures. It's been fifty six days or probably sixty on the higher side counting those days I blacked out because of the knock outs. With each day that goes by, I fear I'm losing part of my sanity.

This night like most nights is cold. A few pushups before bed keep me warm but sometime towards the morning it's unbearably cold. I'll give everything I own for some sunshine and fresh air. I'll give anything for a woman's warmth; Lorraine's. Things moved too fast after we both admitted to being in love. That night was t night we should have made love but she left. Every night after that has been impossible. I'm thinking of her now. I'm dreaming of her being between her and loving her. I want that very much. When I get out of here, when. I see her next that is the first thing I'm going to do. I'm going to make love to her.

I unwrapped my hand. The bones are setting well. I still remember the pain of the mallet crashing down on my hand after the warden decided to show me how to conform. A guard who happens to be friends with Alexei helped me out with what I need from the infirmary to fix my hand. It's yet to heal. They went for the left hand as a warning. Next it will be the right one. Now I live quietly. I don't get into fights even if they insult me or try to get a rise out of me. I have learned how to take a beating. If my medical career has a future, I have to take care of my right hand or it's goodbye world class surgeon.

"Mierda!" I cursed quietly when I remembered that my leave of absence is over. It has been over for days. They are definitely looking for me and I'm sure the other surgeons are gunning for my job.

I closed my eyes to still my racing heart.

My job as Chief of Surgery doesn't matter if I'm stuck in here. Nothing does. At least the Oncology Center and the Pharmaceutical company can take care of themselves. I expect that my lawyer has enforced my will and Lorraine is now the custodia of everything I own. In real sense, I have nothing. I'm penniless.

What about Lorraine? Is she looking for me? Is she thinking of me? Are they even safe? What about my friends? Are they concerned that I am not around anymore?

A guard banging on the door nearly startled me to death. "Visitor!"

It's at night. Who is visiting me at night? I don't like this.

They don't give me a choice. They will open the door and drag me out. Not wishing to be any more black and blue than I already am, I followed them through the quiet hallways of the prison.

Last time I had a visitor was a few days after I was imprisoned. It was Romanov and he was waiting for me in the warden's office. This time it's a different place. I sat behind a thick clear panel that's probably glass. I picked up the phone. "What now?" I asked the old man.

"Good evening. Have you eaten?"

"I don't see how that adds anything to this conversation." I spoke in a flat tone.

The old man chuckled. "I am just checking in on you. I just remembered something and I decided I won't go to bed before you hear it."

"What?" I asked impatiently.

"Thank you." He smiled at me. This man creeps me out. "I want to express my gratitude for two things. First, my life. You did what many neurosurgeons couldn't. I'm alive today because of you. It's sad that you refused my offer and you ended up in here. What a waste. I see what I said about your hand happened."