Chapter Twenty Seven: The Dark Prince

Leonid's POV
Being the first mob boss in my family, it's a big deal to have a successor. All the other families have their traditions when it comes to succession. I have had time to plan my own tradition. I have had years and as much as it was Katya who was supposed to take over, it does not change things. In her place is a boy clueless about what he is getting into. I don't have much time. We took him from the Italians and I'm expecting Nickolas to show up at any moment.

I closed the door after observing the young man looking at his appearance in the mirror. "Have you ever worn a tux before?"

"Yes... Once... A school thing. Nick made me wear one. Mom was totally cool about me going in a t-shirt and jeans."

"You often mention Nick in many of our conversations. You must look up to him."

"I do."

I took a sit on the edge of the bed. "May I know why?"

"He's cool."

Terrence keeps things simple. He's not a wordy person.

"Tell me more than 'cool'. Sit with me."

"Well, he's successful. People do everything he wants. They literally jump out of his way. He's feared. I want to be something, not another face in the crowd."

"When your mother was a child she used to say ordinary is boring. Is that how you feel?"

"Yes." His green eyes focused on mine. "I'm concerned about my mother. I threatened her and now I haven't seen her in a while.

"What did you te her?"

"I told her I know her name and I'll tell my dad. She was upset. She told me she's travelling for work. I find it strange that they both travelled for work all at the same time. It feels wrong."

He has good instincts.

"Hasn't it given us time to be together? I would call it opportunity. My dear boy, opportunity doesn't come around often. When it dies come around, what should you do?"

"Take it."

"Clever boy. What if I told you there's an opportunity for you to be more than another face in the crowd?" He paid attention. "What if I tell you that you can be more powerful than Nick?"

"How?" He smiled.

"To start us off, let me tell you who Nick is. Have you ever heard of the mob?"

"Yes."

"There is the Italian Mafia. Nick works for the godfather. He's nothing more than a capo. He's like Alexei if I'm to draw comparisons."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously. Yet you find him powerful. Imagine if he was to be the godfather. What I'm trying to say is that you don't have to serve at the capacity of a soldier before you become the boss.  Some people, heirs like you can inherit the very envied position of boss."

"Do you mean you are... a boss?" He frowned at me.

"Yes Terrence I am." I touched the side of his face. "And I wa t you to be my heir. Upon my demise, I am selecting you to take my place as the new boss."

Surprise registered in his eyes. He turned away with a serious expression on his face. "I'm only eleven."

"That's true. You're very young. I will teach you what I know for the time I'm still alive. But I will leave you in Alexei's care. He will make you a formidable boss. Do you accept?"

He stood up. He looks uncertain. "Can I think about it?"

"This is an opportunity that pill pass. There's no time to think about it. Life is full of uncertainties. I'm here right now but I may not be in the next few seconds or even tomorrow. I want to go to my grave certain that my seat is not cold and vacant. Can you do this for me? Do you accept?"