Chapter Eight: Family Reunion Part 1

Katya's POV
"Are you packed?"

He stared at me with that expression that means he wants to question me. I am not in a mood to argue with Terrence today. It's either he complies or I drag him to whatever hiding hole I have up my sleeve. The last time I ran he was too little to question me. Now that he thinks he has grown he has opinions he won't keep to himself.

"Why are we leaving?"

"Because I said so."

"Come on mom. We are past 'because I said so'. I am not a child you can drag around."

"Are you paying the rent? Are you paying the bills? You are a child. Pack a damn bag or I'll take you in your pajamas!"

I left him to pack. I am not taking much. A back pack will do with the new passports, cash, diamonds and whatever else I can use to pay my way out of trouble. I was looking at the gun  I'm adding to the bag when Terrence entered my room. I dropped it in the bag but something tells me he has seen it. "Have you done something bad?"

"Are you packed?"

"I am not packing until you tell me why we are leaving." He held his ground.

We had a stare off. Where does he get this stubbornness? I'm not stubborn. I'm aggressive but I'm not stubborn. Why can't he do as he is told?

"Why would you assume I have done something bad?"

"Because people who run and running from something or someone."

"Haven't you heard of innocent until proven guilty?"

"Innocent people don't run." He countered.

He will make a terrific lawyer someday.

"Sometimes innocent people have to run to protect themselves."

"You have watched one too many movies. You don't fit the check list of an innocent person." He passed his verdict and he narrowed his eyes. "What have you done?"

How do you outsmart a kid smarter than you? I cast my eyes on the floor. Should I tell him? He doesn't need to carry my burden.

"Terrence, I have a dark past. There's someone who wants to hurt me and he will use anyone close to me to do so. Please, pack a bag."

"Let's go to Nick's house. He will keep us safe."

"Honey," I cupped his face. "We don't burden others with our problems."

"It's not fair." He pushed me away.

"Terrence pack a bag!" I shouted at him.

"I have made friends here for the very first time in my life and you want to take that away! It's not fair! I'm not going with you!"

He ran out and closed my door.

I followed only to realize he has locked me in the bedroom.

"Terrence! Terrence open this dam door!" I screamed but when I heard the front door, I knew he was gone.

I screamed out in frustration.

My plan was for Lorraine Hall not to exist by sunset today. I was going to cash out of Anderson and Hall. I would find a new identity. I already have one.

I reached for a crowbar under the bed. I slipped it into the slight gap between the door and the doorjamb. I put some muscle into it and I started to pry the freaking door open. I cursed the developers of the apartment for the strong door. It was after breaking serious sweat and wishing I was as strong as a man that the door broke open.