Chapter Thirty Three: Farmhouse

Katya's POV
It feels like a huge burden has been removed from my shoulders. Papa's death was painful at that moment but I think he knew it was coming. The way he sat down and waited for it meant he had made his peace with it. He was ready to embrace to his death. I'm yet to make my peace with it. Holding his dead body was almost impossible but I happened to be the only family he had there. For a man who barely showed his love, I do miss him. I almost reconsidered the decision to get rid of him. I keep wondering if I could have done it better. Could he have backed off with reason? If I really reached him, would he have stopped the unnecessary war? I'm not the only one he pissed off. Li Jie and Red were living peacefully completely secluded from the world but papa had to piss them off. They came out of hiding and ended his reign. They went back after that and warned me never to set foot on their property. I won't even attempt to. Li Jie doesn't miss. I would hate to be in his line if sight when he's holding his sniper rifle.

I am amazed by the way their relationship works. Red is the muscle. Li Jie is the brains. He only becomes withe muscle when Red is overwhelmed. It must feel comfortable to have a partner who lives in the same reality. Li Jie and Red were fortunate to find each other. Now that Ferrer knows about me, I understand the loneliness Nick said he feels because Kei never sees things the way he does. She's just too good a person to reason like her husband. Will Ferrer ever accept who I am? Just because papa is dead doesn't mean it's over.

"What's taking so long?" I asked Katerina. "Did the extraction go okay? Was he hurt?"

I wanted to be there but I was also the only one who could get close to papa.

She gazed at me with a puzzled expression. "He's not a baby. He's not entirely helpless."

I keep looking at the rough path leading to the old wooden gate that is barely hanging by it's hinges. I have never been here before yet it feels like home. It's mom's place. She's been hiding out here for a long time. "Which car was she driving?"

"She probably ditched the car." Ferrer better be okay. I haven't gone through all this for him not to get here alive and well. "What's wrong with you? You look tragic and a mess if I may add."

"You had the easy job."

I had to watch my father die.

"What about breaking into a prison is easy?"

"It wasn't maximum security." I pointed out. "Why wasn't it?" Papa did want us to get him out. He made it easier. But why? Why is he still making moves? I scratched my head. "Do you think he wanted it to be easy?"

"What about it was? Papa never makes anything easy. Did he suffer when he died?"

"No. It was quick."

"That isn't fair. I wanted him to suffer unimaginable pain!"

"I'm just glad it's over." I sighed.

"What will you do now?"

"I don't know. The last few weeks have been hard enough. I just want to go home I guess, be with my son... if Ferrer wants to reconnect, even better. Do you think he will let this go?"

"No." She answered flatly.

That's consoling! She's oozing with positivity today.

We both stood up when we heard the sound of a motor bike. There are two passengers so this is quite promising. I approached the rough path from the gate. The passenger got off first. From the height and build it must be Ferrer. When he took off the helmet I confirmed it. I couldn't decide whether to run to him or just stand by and wait to see what would happen.

"You should have at least cleaned yourself up. Men are physical beings." Katerina is moody today.

I'm messy.