Chapter Three: A Job

Katya's POV
"I look forward to these lunch dates like they are my life line." I smiled at my best friend. We do this every week to catch up. From my experience, two people who used to be inseparable can be separated by a man or two or even three...

I met Kei a long time ago at a boring neighborhood party. I had just given birth and I was trying out my hand in an ordinary life when I stumbled across Jason Burke mistreating the docile beauty. I don't like men who bully women. I was raised by a sadistic bastard and I learned to fight back. I told Jason to stop and when he slapped me I punched him in the face and screamed for help. That is how Kei and I met and since we became best friends. We were alright until Nick came along and we couldn't agree anymore because I was against their sudden whirlwind romance. All along I knew who he was but these secrets aren't easy to spill especially if they aren't yours to tell.

He eventually broke her heart when he chose his daughter over her. She was pregnant; something she wanted to achieve in a long time and Nick did it in a matter of days. In that regard, I like him. He gave her something precious. I wanted to tell him but I chose to distance myself from it. Her second husband was worse. Nick and I don't get along but Sinclair hates me. I hate him too. We are like a cat and a dog. I'm the dog and he's the conniving wicked cat. With Nick there is a chance we can be frenemies. Sometimes we get along and sometimes we don't. With Sinclair there is chaos all the time. He wouldn't let me see her. He controlled her too much even choosing who she should be friends with. Later on, she got back with Nick but it was short-lived. Her fourth husband... well, Kei and dangerous men! Thank goodness that is over and now it's back to Nick. It's always Nick. I have to share her with him and he hoards her all the time even calling me a bad influence sometimes.

"You look happy and bright! What's new?"

"Ferrer agreed to surrendering half of his pay check." I beamed.

"How much is that?"

"I went after the surgeon paycheck. I'll get three hundred thousand dollars every year."

Kei frowned adorably. She bit her asparagus and made a face. "That's low. He makes more than that."

"I know he lied. But that is enough to set up a clean trust fund for Terrance. By the time he's eighteen, I'll have over two million for him. Clean money." I worry that with my past, should I ever get caught, my son will have nothing. At least with Ferrer being clean from the mob, he can give our son a clean inheritance. If anything I really want their relationship to work out because if something happens to me I don't want Terrance to be alone.

"Is that all you want sweetie? His money?" She is about to pull a Kei on me.

"Of course not! I want him to be a father!" I laughed

"We are talking about Ferrer. He doesn't like children."

"I know he doesn't like kids but he can like his own kid. Is it too much to ask?"

"You can't force him."

"But Terrance-"

"Is fine." She placed her hand on top of mine. "Nick makes sure he has everything he needs. They talk about a lot of things. He is trying to be his father. So if Ferrer doesn't want to-"

"He has to." I held her hand also. "Is it weakness if I imagine us as a family? The three of us?"

"No it's not weakness. Go to him and just talk. Ask him why he's refusing to be a father. I think there's more to it. He is willing to part with his pay check just to avoid the responsibility. There's a story there. Find out and just gently coax him into it. Don't be a lawyer. Be a mother."