Chapter Thirty Four: The Boss

Before the Funeral...
Alexei's POV
Part of my job is to ensure the continuity of the family. I have always known that in the event of Leonid's death, a successor has to be named. He didn't want to leave the decision in my hands so he went ahead and picked his own successor. He picked the twelve year old. He strongly believes that if the vine is bent when young... well, Terrence is at age he can be taught much more easily than an adult male.

I left Russia as soon as Katya's onslaught on her father began.  Along the way it was confirmed. The former triad boss, Li Jie saw it through. I have to go into the house and inform the young man that it's time to be acknowledged as the boss. Leonid wanted a smooth and immediate succession. We had our indifferences but I respect his final wishes.

There is a small part of me that wants to go ahead and succeed Leonid. I have dedicated my life in service to him and I surely expected that he will name me as his successor. I have the experience. I know the ropes. I proved myself trustworthy until my son's death. That's when I changed and the keen old man noticed. It's hard to remain loyal to the man who kills your only child. I had to be subtle about my betrayal. Still, he did notice. Regardless of my bitterness towards him, I am faithful to a fault. I'm loyal. I can't keep the power to myself. It's not mine. I'm only the tutor.

I stepped out of the car. I came alone but the rest of the men are waiting at the airfield. I haven't mentioned that I'm bringing a new boss. I told Katya that it's best that it doesn't become public knowledge that Leonid was executed. The men at the airfield know I'm running a personal errand. Within our circle, only Leonid, Terrence and I know about the succession.

I rang the door bell once and waited.

Julio opened the door.  "Alexei."

"Good evening. I'm sorry to drop in unannounced. Is Terrence here?" I will chip the boy so that I never lose track of him. Leonid would call me irresponsible for not knowing where his heir is.

"Yes. What do you want with him?"

"It's personal. Can you please send him out?"

"Talk to the boss." He stepped aside. "Come on in. Guns, knives and phones go here." He opened a metal box. I adhered to their protocol even a thorough pat down. "Shoes off."

"Come on Julio. I'm not hiding a machine gun in my shoes."

"Take off your shoes."

I understood why after I noticed his bare feet and Balotelli's bare feet when he walked by. He stopped and walked backwards his cold blue eyes dead set on me. "Is there a problem Alexei? Why are you here?"

He's holding two identical girls in his arms. Leonid got to him. He convinced him to be more than a capo. Leonid had that power. He could talk his way out of anything. He rarely chose violence. He was a twisted old man but I respect the way he did things except for a few occasions when he was plain evil.

"I want to speak to Terrence."

"About what?" He protects Terrence like his own son.

"Leonid made it clear to you that Terrence is now a boss. He is entitled to privacy. You can't know everything I say to him. I mean you no disrespect but you work for the competition."

"Julio, put the girls in bed. Get me Terrence." He instructed in a gentle tone. "What is going on?"

"Leonid is dead."

"What happened?" He frowned. "He was fine and enthusiastic the last time I saw him."

"Li Jie executed him. I am here to take Terrence to the funeral. It's time for Terrence to take his place."