Chapter Twenty: Final Preparations

Ferrer's POV
I can't help but feel there's a finality to this.

I woke up with a heavy heart after the conversation I had with the Russian man. Deep inside I know that I may not come back to this place. That is why I am meeting my lawyer for some final details.

I looked over the will.

I can feel her eyes on me. My lawyer is good at her job but she suffers from a serious case of curiosity.

"Is everything in order?" She asked me.

"Yes it is."

"I didn't think you have any family until Lorraine Hall sued for child support. Now there's a man in your will who happens to be your father and the same woman you were at war with. Is something going on? Are you being blackmailed? Lorraine is the type to issue threats in order to get her way."

"I'm not being blackmailed or threatened. I just decided to put together a will. Life is uncertain."

"So uncertain that you call in the middle of the night to ask me to do this? Why am I to release it in six months? What is happening in six months? Are you in some sort of trouble Doctor Cavaleiro?"

"My personal drama is personal. Just me. Not you. I pay you to do your job and part of your job description is doing what you are told." I placed it on her desk. "Six months, not a day later."

"I can help. Whatever it is, I can help."

She can't save me from the Russian mob.

I left her office and didn't look back despite her efforts to call me. Lorraine will manage the estate until Terrence is old enough to take over. For my father as much as he doesn't deserve it I decided to leave him my penthouse. I have left the mansion to Terrence. Lorraine will inherit a sum of money. I don't know what she will do with it because she's a millionaire. She doesn't need it but she will drag me out of my grave if I don't mention her in my will.

I went through my phone checking through several emails. I have a letter of resignation ready to be sent if I'm not back in two weeks. I have taken two weeks off work just so that nothing looks suspicious. I have assigned my patients other doctors. Everything is set as I was instructed. I'll go to Vermont. I'll check into a hotel and then I'll leave with the Russians.

I listened to the voicemail Lorraine sent me. "Hey boo. Can we talk? I came by your place and at the hospital but you weren't there. We need to talk it's important. There are some things I need to tell you. I love you. Call me."

I don't want to get into anything with her.

I have been texting her and deleting every message I compose for her. I'm not sure how to say goodbye. How will I start?

Me:
I love you Lorraine.

That is the best I can do. When my fingers couldn't delete, I sent it.

There's just one more person I need to see. Terrence. He is still upset with me. I can't leave without saying goodbye. I drove to his school. I went to the office to have him summoned for me. As I waited, I thought of what to say to him without worrying him.

"Oh it's you." He sighed.

"Did you think the principal has anew bone to pick with you?" I disregarded his lack of enthusiasm to see me.

"I have math in five. What is it?"

"I know you're upset about the punishment but it will still hold. I want to be your friend but I'm also your father. I can't ignore unruliness from you and call it a proper upbringing. I'm sorry but it's just that simple. I love you kid. I just wanted you to know that. Also I'll be gone for a while. It's work. I'll see you when I get back."