Prologue

"Where are you going?" My little sister followed me around the room as I stashed clothes into my suitcase. She is scared and so am I. We just buried our mother. The parent that is left is a monster. He can't be part of our lives.

"I met someone. I'll go to him."

"Who did you meet?"

"Not now Katya! We can't talk about it now!"

"But you're leaving me behind! Why are you leaving me with him? Take me with you!" She pleaded with her fingers wrapped around my wrist. I looked into the big electric blue eyes we have in common. I cupped her pretty chubby face in my hands. We have both suffered a great deal in our father's hands. We cannot live like this and expect to remain sane.

"For now. Our separation is temporary little sister. I promise that once I'm well settled with him, we will come for you. You won't live here much longer, I promise!" I kissed her forehead.

I kept packing but she stayed close. She kept watching me in silence but her eyes expressed zero conviction. She doesn't trust me. She must think I'm fooling her and I won't come back.

"Whqt should I tell father when he's beating the information out of me?"

I felt my heart sinking. My father treats us like soldiers. Gone are the days that we were his little girls. We don't get to sit on papa's lap for a story. We call him sir and we are expected to fall in line everytime. I realize that what I'm doing is a little selfish because my poor sister will suffer for my departure. But I can't do it anymore and I can't take her with me. The plan won't work.

While in Florence some time ago I met a boy. His name is Nickolas Balotelli. His father is in the Mafia and we connected. I strongly feel that we can be something together and if I'm with him, the Mafia will protect me too! That plan to seduce my way into his heart won't work if I have my little sister attached to me.

"Tell him I ran away with a boy. Don't wait to be interrogated. As soon as dawn breaks, knock on his door and tell him you didn't find me in my bed and that I told you I'm in love and I'm running away to get married to him. If he asks you who the boy is day you don't know. I never said. Do you understand Katya?"

It will surely give me less time to work on my plan but at least she will avoid a beating.

"Alright. Please promise you'll come back for me." She pleaded softly.

"We are sisters and we always have each other's backs. I promise I'll come back for you."