Chapter Six: The Mediator

Katya's POV
"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I have a question." Terrance responded as he closed and arranged his books in order. I find him strange. Boys his age are messy. He keeps everything neat and tidy. Ferrer also likes some sort of order. He's not a perfectionist but he isn't messy.

"Get it off your chest."

"It's about Ferrer. You said he needs time to process that he is a father. It's been been eleven years."

"Where is your question?"

"Is it alright if I talk to him?"

"About what?"

He folded his hands on his study table. I put the rest of his clothes in the chest of drawers.

"About what is keeping him from being my father."

That will be an interesting conversation. I wish I could listen in. "Knock yourself out." I shrugged.

"Cool. I'll make an appointment and I'll go see him. Thanks." He escorted me to the door and locked it as soon as I was outside. He's such a serious kid.

Kei's message ripped the smile out of my face. She won't let the issue about my 'dead' sister go. She doesn't know the woman is my sister. Her instincts must be going crazy because she senses there's more. She is right to do so. Katerina used to own Nick's heart. I know for a fact that she is going to cause trouble but how am I to explain to my best friend?

Kei:
I'm serious. I know it's hard for people to take me seriously but you have to tell me who she is.

Me:
She's inconsequential. I wouldn't worry.

Kei;
Yeah coz you know her. I don't know her yet I am thinking about her and I want to know who she is and why you asked me  if I could see her and why you hit her. I want to know why.

She won't stop.

Who am I loyal to? Nick or Kei? I haven't mentioned it to either one of them that Katerina is alive. Who should I tell first?

Me:
She's inconsequential. You don't need to think about her.

I waited for a response but nothing came. She's upset. I know her like the back of my hand. Kei doesn't lash out. She's like Cole Michael before he showed his true self. She's passive aggressive. I made a mental note to talk to her later.

I have chores to catch up on. Terrance has his list which is always done. I'm the one who slacks off if the laundry pile is anything to go by.

When the phone chimed again, I smiled thinking it's Kei only to realize it's someone else.

Unknown:
On a scale of 1-10 how upset are you?
It's Katerina.

I responded in an angry text only to delete it. What do you say to someone you haven't seen for almost a decade? Someone you grieved over? Someone who left you alone with a monster and never kept her promise bro come back? What do you say?

Unknown:
Come on malyshka! I made mistakes. Forgive me please. Can we meet and talk?

Me:

I'm busy. Piss off.

I put the phone in a drawer and started sorting out the laundry. Among the dirty pile I came across some of Terr's sheets. But before I could take a good look he snatched them from my hand his cheeks red with embarrassment. "Stop touching my stuff!"