Chapter Two: Paycheck

Katya's POV
I have been thinking of what Nick said to me. Who would be crazy enough to tag his car? Is it someone who wants to know where he lives? That is obvious. It's even online. Is it someone who wants to keep a log of his daily movements? Probably but he has several cars! I have no idea what to make out of it. Whoever they are they should have known better. A man like Nick always checks for tracking and recording devices. He is careful. Nick won't even repeat his own name if he isn't sure he can trust the environment or the person he's talking to.

"Good morning!" I greeted the nurse at the reception who warmly smiled back at me. I leaned on her desk beaming at her. I just had coffee. She should have seen me when I woke up this morning. I am not a pleasant sight. My son will confirm that I can qualify for a horror movie that early in the morning.

"Good morning. What can I do for you?"

"Is Ferrer in?"

"Doctor Cavaleiro is in surgery at the moment. Do you have an appointment?"

I tapped the tip of my nails on the desk tempted to lie but the guy will throw me under  the bus. "No."

"He sees patients by appointment." She cringed. "Should I book you? He is available six months from now on Friday morning. Is 8am good?"

I have nothing but admiration for Ferrer. He is booked six months in! He runs a successful oncology center and is still the chief of surgery in this big hospital.

"I don't think I need an appointment. The thing is I haven't seen him in years! He's my old friend and we have lost touch. I would really like to see him."

"I can't just let you see him."

Is he invisible or something? Will my eyes burn at the sight of him?

"And I totally understand that you're doing your job but I am leaving the country in a few hours and I may never see him again. I don't have his number anymore. You know how we tend to lose numbers, right? Please just let me see him. I'll sit over there. If he doesn't have time to see me I'll leave."

He doesn't answer my calls. I think he blocked me.

"Fine." She agreed.

"Do you know how long I'll wait?"

"A few minutes." She answered. "He must be wrapping up."

I caught up on some emails as I waited for him. Seeing Ferrer and talking to him is usually the highlight of my day. Even if it doesn't go well I'm happy. I am hopelessly in love with the world class neurosurgeon. When we met eleven years ago, I didn't know we would have a son together. I was fresh from Russia thrown into a whole new scene by my circumstances. I spoke very little English with a heavy accent. I was terrified for my life and my plan was to do what Katerina intended to do. I wanted to find Nickolas Balotelli and ask him to do for me what he did for my sister. I wanted his protection.

When Katerina left home I was just fourteen. I waited everyday for her to come back for me like she promised. Months down the line my hope dwindled until it eventually burned out. I came to the sad realization that I am on my own. The day before I turned eighteen I fled from the mob and from everything I had known. I came to New York to find him but instead, I found the doctor.

He was just a student on scholarship back then working odd jobs to make ends meet. I was working odd jobs too and  we used to hang out. I got close to him and he started to like me too. It sounds like a promising love story but not exactly.

"Mierda! No no no no no! Not today!" Ferrer held his arms at his waist looking fed up. He is in a pair of black crocks, navy blue scrubs with a grey long sleeved fitting tee inside. He looks interesting and I almost wanted to make a joke but I put on my serious face. He turned his attention to the nurse. "By appointment. Does she have an appointment?"