Chapter 58: Sophie

I walked back to the house, feeling happier than I had in a while. But then an overwhelming fear slowly crept through my veins. What if this new group got to them? What if they got to any of our friends? I wrapped my arms around myself, wanting Keefe's warmth, but he wasn't here. Then I heard footsteps fly pound down the stairs. 

Keefe.

He had a panicked look on his face, and his eyes scanned my face, arms, legs. As if he were looking for injuries. He let out a soft breath as he realized I was safe. He walked over to me and gently brought his arms around me. I breathed in the smell of him, the comfort of his arms, and began to cry. After a few minutes of stroking my hair, he pulled away partly and gently lifted my chin up to meet his eyes. I must've had all my thoughts written out on my face, because Keefe's eyes flashed with concern, sorrow, and a little anger. 

Not at me, I realized. 

At this new group, who had taken me not once, but twice. 

And I also saw something that looked like guilt flicker in his eyes, and i gasped. 

"You-you think this was all your fault?" I asked incredulously.

He just looked away as he mumbled, 

"I should've been able to protect you. Both times."

He moved to turn away, to avoid eye contact. I grabbed his wrist, and gently cupped his cheek into my hand. He leaned into the contact, closing his eyes. 

"Don't you ever say that. Not for one moment." I hissed. 

He looked at me in surprise at the venom in the words. So I continued.

"I don't need you to protect me. And trust me, I will make them pay."

He looked at me and smiled softly. But the smile quickly faded. 

"I thought I'd never see you again. I thought..."

The pain in the words, in his eyes made me say, 

"I'm real. I'm here."

I stood up on the tips of my toes and kissed him. I wrapped me arms around his neck, and he carried me upstairs to our room, bridal style. I laughed slightly at the mischievous twinkle in his eyes, and layer my head down on his chest. 

I was right. 

This was real.

Real, and amazing.