56

The next morning was filled with normal King's antics. Some people were rushing to get ready before class, others were planning on skipping a couple periods anyway.

I didn't look out of the ordinary today, nor did I plan to. My birthday wasn't a big occasion, not to me or to anyone who wasn't friends with me. Hell, even some of my friends said a 'Happy seventeenth!' and went on with their day. No one but them and Lin really remembered it was my birthday anyway. Not that I cared, in fact, I liked it better that way. No extra attention or embarrassing birthday songs to be sung. All I wanted to do was finish up my classes for the day and maybe smoke some cigs on the roof with my friends.

Though, it'd be pretty hard to do that since Saya and Maria were keeping a shit-ton of secrets from each other. Not to mention, Marcus and I knew everything and were supposed to keep it from them. How exactly were we supposed to keep from Saya that Maria killed her crew? How were we supposed to tell our whole friend group about Chester? Secrets just kept piling up on top of each other and we had no idea what to do with all of them. If we came clean about one thing we had to come clean about everything, and I don't think we were ready to tell everyone that they're being put in a life or death situation because we killed Chico. Not exactly the best way to spend your seventeenth birthday, but knowing us it could be much worse.

"So, what are we doing for your birthday?" Marcus asked as we walked down a hallway on our way to class.

"We're not doing anything. I already told you as long as some drama bullshit doesn't happen today I'll be happy with anything." I assured him.

"You can't just not do anything, Em." Marcus said.

"Watch me, loverboy." I teased.

Marcus and I turned a corner in the hallway, still on our way to Poison Lab. We walked into a busy hallway and what looked like a fight. Clearly the fight had just finished, though. One of Maria's men was on the floor with a knife in his hands as one of Saya's girls had a knife to his throat, clearly having the upper hand. Maria and Saya themselves looked like they were talking almost angrily. From our point of view, they were basically threatening each other.

Marcus and I walked up to the scene. Marcus took a hold of Saya as I took a hold of Maria. We held them back, trying to stop a war amongst Legacy gangs to break out.

"Wait, stop." Marcus said.

Suddenly the monks came out of nowhere, all screaming at us. Ironic since I'd never heard those assholes speak.

"Fight's over." One of them said.

"Back to your rooms." Another said.

It seemed like we were all being shoved into the dorms very quickly and roughly by them.

"Move, move, move!" They screamed as us as the shoved us roughly.

"Move now!" One said as he pushed my shoulder towards the dorms like I was some cattle headed for the slaughter.

Marcus and I kept close to each other, hands interlocked so whatever happened at least we were together.

"To your rooms!" The screamed as they all shoved us into rooms that were most certainly not ours.

"This isn't my dorm, asshat!" I screamed at the idiotic monk before he slammed the door in my face, locking it so I couldn't get out.

I turned around to see who I had been shoved in here with. Marcus was here, of course, maybe that made it a little better. My eyes shifted to the bed to see Viktor here as well. That makes things ten times worse. Lastly there was Willie, looking confused with his signature toothpick in his mouth.

The speaker in the room made a loud beeping sound, indicating that it was being turned on. We all turned to it, waiting for someone to say something, anything.

"Another student is dead. And I will find out who's responsible. You're all on lockdown until I do." Lin spoke sternly.

"Fucking bullshit." I muttered under my breath.

"What are we gonna do?" Willie asked.

I turned to Willie angrily. I was clearly frustrated and this asshole had the nerve to ask some stupid question.

"Unless you have some plan on how to get out of here, nothing." I said angrily.

"I was just askin'." Willie defended.

"Yeah, well stop askin' dumbass questions." I mocked him.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes trying to stay calm. How could this birthday possibly get any worse? I walked over to the bed in the room and took a seat. Who's bed even was this? Fuck me, this was gonna be a long ass day.