4

After Marcus left the roof the rest of the Rats and I talked for a bit more. I got tired of Petra's emotionless sense of humor and Lex's shitty bullying so I left after a bit and went to the library.

I know that it was probably dumb for me to think that Marcus could be responsible for my brother's murder. It's absolutely insane but it coincides. I know there's nothing to worry about, but I just want to make sure.

Once I arrived at the library I went up to the librarian. I'd lived here since I was ten but I'd only been to the library a handful of times so I had no idea where anything was.

"Can I help you?" She said in an unamused tone never taking her eyes off the book she was reading.

"Yeah, where can I find the newspaper reports?" I asked.

She lifted her head to look at me and pointed to a section of the library not uttering a word. I looked over to the section she was pointing at and then looked back at her.

"Thank you." I said as I started walking towards it.

I had to find the right dates first. My brother had died a couple years back so anything that dated back to that time and had anything related to Marcus, a boys' home, or a property being burned down, I picked up. I had a handful of newspapers when I sat down at the table to look at them.

It had been around 20 minutes of searching thoroughly before my eyes landed on a newspaper I hadn't looked at yet. What am I kidding this is absolutely crazy. Why would Marcus kill my brother? My anxiety got the best of me and I picked up the newspaper and read it anyway.

There it was in big, bold letters. It was the first thing on the article. Marcus Lopez Arguello wanted for the arson of sunset boys' home and dozens murders. My eyes watered as I saw a picture of Marcus plastered under the title. On the side there was a picture of all the boys and the guards living there. It was a group picture they took outside. They all looked so happy. My brother coincidentally stood next to Marcus in that picture. They looked as close as ever, so why the fuck would that psychopath kill him? By now tears poured out of my brown eyes onto the old newspaper, but it was only a matter of time before I turned that sadness into anger and bloodlust for Marcus Lopez Arguello. My expression contorted from one of depression and sadness into one of absolute anger. I was livid with Marcus and I'd sure as hell do something about it. I ripped the newspaper off the table and stuffed it in my bag, taking it with me and not even bothering to sign it out with the librarian.

I looked around the whole school before I made it to the entrance. My eyes widened at the sight of Chico and Marcus fighting. Of course, the infamous fight he was oh-so-worried about. Chico would for sure kill him. However, as much as I wanted to see him dead, I wasn't going to let Chico take my revenge. The tattoo-covered teenager had Marcus pressed up against a wall with a knife to his neck when I stepped in.

I slid my knife out of my boot where I stored it and swiftly walked up to him, pressing the blade on his neck roughly. I had the upper hand now.

"Get the fuck off him, Chico." I said angrily.

"Protecting your little boyfriend I see." Chico laughed as he looked at Marcus never once turning his head to look at me.

"You think this shit is funny? I'll slit your fucking throat. You know I've done it before. I've done it multiple times and I haven't gotten caught. It's my fucking specialty. So unless you wanna be next on my kill list take the knife off Marcus's neck and back the fuck up." I said sternly.

The crowd surrounding us watched intently. Chico looked at me and then backed up. I guess that fucker got the message. I looked around and saw everyone still staring at us.

"Everyone fuck off before I put you in your fucking graves!" I threatened.

Everyone then dispersed and left me and Marcus alone. I tucked my knife back into my boot and looked at him. He looked at me with a pissed off expression as I did the same. He's probably pissed that a girl had to save him from the hands of a deadly Vato. Honestly, he's probably embarrassed that he almost died and all I had to do was pull out a knife and utter a couple words and I had the upper hand.

As Marcus and I glared angrily at each other we noticed Master Lin open the door at the top and peer down at us. We both looked up at him before Marcus let his tempter get the best of him.

"Fuck this school!" He yelled as he rushed off.

"Oh fuck no you don't!" I said as I started to run after him.

"Emma, leave him." Master Lin said calmly making me stop in my tracks.

I couldn't tell Lin that Marcus had killed my brother because it would've been no use. All he cared about was the fact that he committed murder and arson in one night and got away with it. So instead of protesting, I obliged. That fucker will come back and when he does I'll end his fucking life.

I angrily hurried up to the roof. I had no idea if the rest of the Rats were up there but I didn't care. It would've been better to be alone anyway.

I got there and low and behold there was no one. I then sat on the edge of the roof and pulled out a cigarette along with a lighter. I lit the cigarette and smoked it like I'd done a thousand times before.

Why the fuck would Marcus kill my brother? What type of lunatic psychopath does that shit? Then again, I go to a school for assassins so I'm not one to talk about psychotic behavior. Almost everyone was a psychopath, a sociopath, or just on the cusp of it. The point is Marcus had no idea what he'd done. He had no idea what kind of fucked up war he'd started. He had signed his death certificate the second that he burned my brother in that fire. He didn't stand a chance against me. He was an orphan boy who knew what looked like nothing about murder against a teenage girl who's parents were the best assassins in the world. He was dead fucking meat.

I was halfway done with the cigarette before my mind came back to my actual surroundings. Where were the other Rats anyway? Out completing assignments maybe? What assignments did we even have?

Oh shit, that's right. Kill someone who deserves it, don't get caught, and don't forget proof. I forgot I had to get that done. It was easy enough to complete, but I had no idea who to murder yet. Just about everyone in this school deserved to die, but I couldn't exactly go up to Brandy and stab her in the middle of the hallway. That's when the idea hit me.

Who deserves murder more than the boy who took the only person I had left? Who better than Marcus?

With that I dropped my cigarette off the roof and went off to Master Lin's office. I had no idea how I was going to kill him yet, but I knew I was going to figure it out.