Chapter 36

Dad's POV

Even though Sebastian reassured me more than once that he's ok, that's there's nothing I should worry about.......I know better than to believe that. I know when he's trying not to be a bother and now was that time. I can't help but worry about him because of it because that's what a parent does when it comes to their child. 

All I know is that something recently triggered him, possibly something physical based on his reaction to me. I wish he could just tell me what happened. Maybe it was just something as simple as someone pushing him in the hallway, something that caused him to have a panic attack before. Though that was very soon after the incident, so I doubt that would have affected him that bad now. Though you never know. 

If only I could protect him from any harm, but I know I can't watch him all the time. He also deserves the freedom a teenager should have. Being a dad is a bit hard if I'm being honest. Things were so much easier when he was little despite everything terrible that was going on at the time. A baby doesn't have to deal with all these complicated emotions and mental trauma that Sebastian is going through. Makes me almost forget that he is still a kid at times.

Nothing like some complicated thoughts about family issues to distract me from my work. The office today was a mess and I'm just glad I was able to come home at my usual time. Doesn't mean the work is exactly over, as I still had to sort through the nightmare of papers on my desk that I haven't gotten around to properly organizing yet. As I set some aside I noticed my wife come into the small home office that I took over once my brother left. 

"Well you're a sight for sore eyes." I said, feeling better just seeing her.

"You too.......is something on your mind?" She asked as I saw her take a seat on the edge of the desk near me.

"What makes you think that?"

"For one, you haven't said much today and that's unlike you. Second, I can see it on your face that you're thinking of something and my guess is that it's not work related." She said, knowing me better than I know myself as times. Letting out a small sigh, I took a seat in the chair behind the desk.

"I'm worried about Seb. Like of course I worry about him....I love him, but you know."

"I know.......did something happen?" She asked and I nodded.

"Was it bad?" She asked and I shrugged as I'm not sure how bad the situation actually is.

"Yes and no......basically I overstepped my boundaries and.......he hit me."

"He hit you?" She asked and I could see the slight shock and concern in her eyes, both for Seb and me.

"Not that hard. I could tell he didn't mean to and he apologized to me later. It's why he didn't come to dinner a few nights ago." I explained and she seemed to understand, relaxing a bit. A moment later I saw her place her hand over mine on the desk before she continued.

""I know you.......that's not all there is to this.......right?" She asked and I nodded before I decided to tell her more.

"After he apologized, I asked if something recently triggered him. He said yes, but didn't specify. If only I knew how to help.......I just want him to be happy and feel safe."

"Me too......but you know we can't be too intense. The after effects of domestic abuse can be lasting. Especially after what he went through. As much as it pains me, I also know he needs time and space." She told me and it pained me too, but I knew it's the best way. A moment later I picked up her hand and gave it a light kiss.

"You're right."

"I usually am." She said back, giving me a wink. I couldn't help but smile at that before I was surprised to hear the doorbell ring. We both shared a confused look for a moment.