twenty-six

"So what are you actually trying to do," Yoongi asked, as he reached out trying to get another pieces of fried chicken. The Wild Witch hadn't been lying when he said Yoongi wouldn't be allowed to get any. "I get that you have two greenhouses and two sets of plants but what is the purpose of it all," Yoongi asked, grinning as he managed to steal the chicken pieces away from Taehyung and onto his own plate.

"The goal is to see if happy plants make better potions," Taehyung said, looking longingly at the piece of chicken on Yoongi's plate. "So, I have a happy greenhouse where I make sure the plants are content, well-watered and kept under conditions they like. I mean the Wonky funkies really like upbeat music and the Squabble cabbage prefers to have the newest gossip so it's a balance between making some of them happy and others unhappy," Taehyung rattled, stuffing a few noodles in his mouth.

"And as control?" Yoongi asked genuinely interested in Taehyung project. He had often felt that the plants from his own garden made more potent potions.

"I use the standard bought ingredients from the academy's own store as a back-up. It's high quality but I also know they don't seek to make the plants happy, just content. It'll also add a good point about how happy ingredients will make better potions that just purely high quality," Taehyung said, waving his arms around excitedly as he stuffed his face with more chicken.

Yoongi looked down at his own plate and smiled. It had been ages since he had had such a nice time simply eating. Taehyung was fun and animated and Yoongi couldn't put into words how much he was enjoying seeing Taehyung being this relaxed. Usually when they ate with the others he would be quiet, observe the others until he was provoked into joining – usually by Namjoon. But today there had been no hesitation. It was like Taehyung finally allowed Yoongi to see him as who he was – wonderfully chaotic and a happy mess.

"So how do you compare them?" Yoongi asked, stealing another piece of chicken away from Taehyung. Living with a hungry Siren and a Fire Witch had given Yoongi some seriously quick chopstick maneuvering capabilities.

"Hey, leave my chicken alone," Taehyung huffed, putting his arm down so he could protect the food. "And I plan to send it in for a professional Potion evaluation at the agency. I know it's goanna cost me a little but I think it'll be worth it to have an independent evaluation of the potion as a result," Taehyung said, waving his chopstick around a little.

Yoongi couldn't help but frown. He was well aware of how much it cost to have your potions evaluated at the agency. He was sending in tests of his own regularly to keep his license as an apothecary, but that was at least covered in the price of the potions. Taehyung would have to seek out funding because Yoongi was well aware that the academy wouldn't allow funding for something like that.

"I know someone who might be able to give you a discount," Yoongi said, trying to calculate how much he would have to pay for Taehyung's tests. It would hardly make a dent in his fortune, but he was still not happy about taking money from his inheritance. But on the other hand, his grandmother would have fully approved. "You can make the potions here and we can send them in without weekly shipment and it'll be cheaper than getting just nine or twelve batches tested," Yoongi lied, already wondering how he would talk his way out of Taehyung paying anything at all.

"Seriously," Taehyung said, noodles dropping from his chopsticks as he stared at Yoongi. "That would be amazing. I've been saving up money for it of course, but my own allowance and sales of charms only reaches so far," he rushed happily, picking the noodles back up and showing them in his face.

"Well ,then I'm glad I can help," Yoongi said, feeling happy that he could move worry off of Taehyung's shoulders.

"You're more than helping," Taehyung said, voice suddenly serious. Yoongi had to look up from his rice and Kimchi, blinking a little when he found Taehyung's eyes fixed on him. "I don't think I ever properly thanked you," Taehyung said laying his chopsticks down next to his plate and folding his hand in front of him.