Chapter Sixteen: Not A Lawyer Or A Doctor

Start from the beginning

I'm losing blood.

I kept driving bringing the car into the basement parking of the apartment building I live in. I groaned out in pain. The bullet is too far in for me to reach.

I managed to spread a cover over the car. I don't want anyone to see the damaged car. I stumbled my way to the elevator trying not to pass out. I need to get to the house. I just need to get home.

When I tried to open the door it was pulled open from the inside. I held my gun only to see Terrence. I quickly lowered my hand.

"Mom!" He received me but he couldn't hold me up when I tumbled down. "What happened? Mom!"

"Don't call the police. Don't call 911. Don't call the hosp..."

Terr's POV
Earlier that day ...
Going through a suspension isn't part of the plan to get through school with a clean record. Part of me wishes I called Nick. There is no process with him. He makes it go away and he does it with the snap if his fingers.

Ferrer is taking the long way. He's making this a thing such that he has signed me up for therapy. The therapist is a friendly older woman. I have nothing against her but I'm not about to wear my heart on my sleeve. I just don't talk about my feelings.

"Terrence, we can be here all day until you say something."

"No we won't. I have an hour and based on the time, five more minutes. You will have to end the session and I'll go home until next week."

"You're clever."

"So I hear."

"And sarcastic."

"People who understand sarcasm are intelligent."

"Are you flattering me?"

"No." I smiled at her.

"Why are you here?"

"My father said I have to do this."

"What made him decide this?"

I shrugged. She's baiting me. Two more minutes and I'm out of here. "I don't know."

"I know your father. He occasionally lectures at Harvard. I sat in one of his classes. He's a great doctor. What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"Not a lawyer and not a doctor." I answered.

"Who is the lawyer? Is it your mother?"

One more minute. I could keep quiet and just let the time slide. "Yeah."

"What is she like? If you had to describe her using five words, what would you say?"

"Fun. Serious. Stubborn. Strong. Smart."

"She sounds like an amazing-" the timer stopped.

I got up and when I was at the door I glanced back at her. "Next week same time?" I smiled at her.

"Next week same time."