Chapter 64

—Draco POV—

"You won't leave?" I asked. My voice began to crack, though I sucked in a breath, shoving these feelings down deep, hidden somewhere in my chest, forcing myself to control my emotions.

"I'll be right there with you," he replied. And in his eyes I could see he meant it. So, with all the strength I could muster, I straightened myself up, standing with determination. I dusted off my clothing, and went upstairs towards Scorpius' room, making sure Harry was close behind.

He was coloring when I walked in- a dinosaur, it looked like. I cleared my throat, taking one last deep breath as he turned to look at me.

"Hey dad, hi Harry. Is it time for dinner yet?"

"Uhm, not quite, Scor," I responded. "Let's have a seat, yeah? There's something I would like to speak with you about."

"Oh, okay." He furrowed his brows, but did as I said. I walked further into the room, sitting next to him on the bed. I motioned for Harry to sit next to me.

"Scorpius... you know that I love you, right? And that everything I do, I do it considering what I think might help you the most?" Scorpius nodded, and I took another breath, half from relief, and half to expel the last of my nerves.

"I think, Scorpius, that it's about time I tell you about my past, and what the Wizarding World was like before you were born."

"Okay." Scorpius sat up straight, watching me attentively. No turning back now.

"Scorpius, do you know what a prejudice is? Or a bias?"

He shook his head, just as I had expected him to.

"Well," I adjusted my position, trying to rod myself of the discomfort I was feeling. I turned to Harry, who gave me a shy and encouraging smile, then back to Scorpius. "You know how I've always taught you not to treat others badly just because they may be different?"

"Well yeah," he responded. "But that's just normal."

"It's the right thing to do," I elaborated. "Back then, when Harry and I were kids, and even before that, a lot of Wizards and witches would treat non-magic folk with a horrible bias, just because they didn't know magic. There," I sighed, mentally working through the oncoming explanation of a blood hierarchy.

"...We were all separated based on whether our parents and grandparents were magic or not." I glanced back at Harry, then I looked down to the sheets, running my hand over the quilted pattern. "There are pure-blooded wizards and witches, like us. When you are pure-blooded, it means that both of your parents and grandparents were magic. Then, there are half-bloods. There are two types of half bloods. There's the type where one parent is magical, and the other is not, and then there's people like Harry." I gestured to Harry.

"Harry's father, and his father's parents, were wizards. But, while his mother was a witch, her parents- Harry's grandparents- were not. They were Muggles.

"The last type are what we call Muggleborns. They're wizards and witches who don't have any magic in their family at all. They're the only ones." I waited for Scorpius to nod or ask a question before continuing.

"Okay... I mean, why was everyone separated?" he asked. I opened my mouth to respond, but Harry cut in.

"It's not that everyone was separated, Scor. It's just that Muggleborns and Muggles were treated unfairly just because of their not knowing magic, or having parents like that."

"But that's wrong," Scorpius remarked. "That's just how they were born. They can't change that," he said.

"We agree with you, Scorpius," I assured, before a heavy weight settled in the pit of my stomach. "But my parents, your grandparents, they didn't believe that-"