Chapter 10

—Teddy POV—

Luca and I arrived at the castle grounds after our morning and afternoon classes and we followed the wave of students walking towards the Quidditch pitch, walking over the wooden bridge and gazing over the walkways. Suddenly, I'd had the feeling that the boards of wood I had been walking on welcomed me to the field, as if it was a grandparent guiding their infant grandchildren after play. I could barely see the spots of grass among the students' feet shuffling. The sky was clear with small strips of fluffy cloud dotting the horizon.

We got to the benches just in time. Luckily, there were some seats right in the middle, so we had a pretty clear view of everything, including the iconic Hufflepuff yellow badger banners lining the towers bordering the pitch. Everyone was tightly packed, so me and Luca sat huddled together.

"It's good that I wore the warm shirt my mum sent," Luca breathed while rubbing his palms together, "it's a month into fall, and it's already getting cold."

"Yeah... I reckon it's good that we're packed like sardines." We both chuckled, leaned forward, and waited for the prospective and older players to come forward.

"Look, Ted, there they are!"

Luca suddenly yelled and pointed at the field. There, we saw all the players, including Bonnie and Wendy. Bonnie had her usual spaced out look about her, until something Madam Hooch said caught her attention, and she excitedly looked to her along with the other students. Wendy was next to her, and he looked proud as ever, standing with his chin up and straighter than a Muggle soldier.

"Okay, so... I talked to Bonnie and Gabriel for a bit before you got to the table at breakfast. She said that there could only be seven players in the field at a time, so I guess they'll be taking turns?" Luca questioned, putting his hand to his chin.

"I guess so. We don't know who's going, so we'll stick around for everybody. House pride?" I shrugged and looked to Luca suggestively.

"Yup. House pride," he laughed.

Madam Hooch stepped off the field, hopped on her broom, and flew to the spectator box. Upon looking a little below the spectator's box, I saw Gabriel eagerly talking to the spectator, who looked like he desperately wanted to go away. I tapped Luca on the arm, and he looked in the same direction, barely stifling a laugh.

"Hey, Gabriel!" Gabriel quickly looked at us and waved very intensely. I giggled and waved back.
The spectator took the opportunity of escape and dashed to the box.

"Why do spectators even go to tryouts? Oh, I guess it would be like their practice." I nodded.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen of Hufflepuff House and others! Welcome to our humble playing field! We sincerely hope you brought your jumpers, because it's a bit chilly today. Thankfully, the fog rolled away, so it would appear to be a little less cold..."

All of a sudden, a booming voice was heard throughout the field.

"It's time!" Gabriel's voice could be heard above the crowd of students.

"...Hey, Ted." I looked away from the field and to Luca.

"Um... I just wanted to say that I, well... A lot of things happened last year. Including the thing with my parents, and how I had to go home with you. This year hasn't been as hectic as then, but..."

I stared at Luca, waiting for the next thing he would say.

"You've been with me through all of it. Thank you," he said as he looked away, a tinge of pink on the back of his hair.

"You too, Luca. I... I wouldn't have asked to be with anyone else."

"...Teddy.

We'll always be there for each other, right?"