Chapter 17

—Harry POV—

Tonight was... odd. I don't know how to explain it.

I didn't struggle to eat dinner. In fact, I hadn't realized I was eating until I was about halfway done with my food. I didn't beat myself up about it afterwards either. It just... was.

Scorpius has decided to become his own little tornado in these past months, beginning way back when Teddy's second term started. He wants to do things on his own. He isn't being as clingy towards Draco as I was used to seeing him. This newfound independence caused him tonight to climb a bookshelf and reach for a story book on the highest shelf. It toppled over. If Draco hadn't been as fast as he was, we'd probably be at St. Mungos, and he'd probably be a whole mess.

After an argument between the two, Draco did indeed lock himself in the room with me and just... sit, staring at the wall. He went to sleep without another word, but I could somehow tell he didn't want to be alone while staring at the wall. So, I stayed with him in silence. Of course, at the beginning, I had tried to ask him questions- tried to see what was going on. He never answered. Like I said... odd.

It was at this particular point in time that I lie awake, gazing at the moonlit ceiling, feeling an inexplicable sense of emptiness- like I was a tree bark that had been entirely hollowed out by termites.

The crickets were merrily singing their nightly song, and the usual winter draft was definitely felt through the house, especially since I had uncovered myself from the blanket when I'd woken up... an hour before? Two? Three? I could never tell how long I stayed up when I did.

I soon decided to turn around, covering myself again because I was tired of feeling the icy air prick at my skin. Draco was asleep, facing away from me. It didn't occur to me that I had been studying how his hair stuck in all directions the say he was laying down, until he shifted, breaking me out of my day dream. Hesitantly, I pulled my hand out from the covers, tapping him on the shoulder lightly.

He didn't respond until three seconds later. That was when I realized he had probably been awake the whole time. He shifted in bed, turning around to face me. His eyes seemed distant, and tired. His expression was lost, almost blank. Something in me turned.

"Hm?" He mumbled, trying to look at me through half-slept eyes. I opened my mouth in preparation to talk, but found myself properly speechless. I didn't know what I had wanted to tell him, or why I had attempted to see if he was awake in the first place. All I could process was his sunken and hurt demeanor.

Eventually, I scooted closer, wrapping my arm around his back and letting my hand find its way into his soft yet tangled hair. I closed my eyes, holding him closely.

"...'m sorry." he mumbled after a long moment.

"It's okay... just let me hold you."

At this he let himself relax into me, and brought his own arm around my waist. After a while, I heard him sniffle.

"He's growing up too fast. I just want to be there for him... I can't keep up." His muffled and cracked voice whispered into my chest. "Why is it so difficult for him to just... tell me he wants a book? Why is it so horrible lately for him to just let me to help him?"

I let the silence surround us briefly before concocting an answer.

"I think... he's just trying to test his abilities... trying to see what he can and can't do alone. He still needs you, there's no doubt. But he is a growing young boy... I think, you're just... in shock. I mean, who wouldn't be? Just a few short years ago you were feeding him and changing his nappy... now he does those things on his own. It's just... life. Maybe, try not getting into a quarrel with him the next time he tries to do something on his own?"

"He could have killed himself tonight." He stated bitterly. I felt a chill pass through me.

"...but you were there to save him... because he still needs you. He still wants you to be there for him."

He didn't respond at first. Not until he removed himself from the hug after an extremely long while. Wiping his eyes, he adjusted his position in the bed to look at me. I found myself doing the same until my mind had positively turned to mush. I can't believe we're actually here, next to each other.

I brought my hand out to cup his face, bringing myself closer. "Have I told you how outstanding you are? As a father and with me?" I whispered. He chuckled.

"You may have mentioned something of that fashion once or twice." He said, allowing a small smile to adorn his features.

"Once or twice isn't enough." I concluded, giving him a smooth, light kiss.

"You know, I could say the same for you. You are, truly, spectacular." I shoved him playfully, flushing.

"This isn't about me. Don't change the subject." We bot held a light laugh, before settling down again. Draco shifted to be closer to me. We were now too close to not be holding each other to an extent.

"I'm serious, you know... you really are amazing." He searched my eyes, scanning for nonverbal responses. "Even if you like to think you're not."

————

"Come on, Scor, let's go outside. You have your snow clothes ready, yeah?

...Scor?"

Draco whipped around, looking for Scorpius, who was presumably ready to go outside. Draco took a few steps farther from the front door, further into the house, and called out to Scorpius again a few times. After a second of silence, a few heavy thumps and steps were heard.

"I'm... I'm gonna be there in a second!" Scorpius shouted. Draco and I hurriedly took two large strides into the house to discover that Scorpius was at the top of the flight of stairs. His breaths seemed quick, and he was swinging his arms back and forth and grasping at his vest. Draco's eyes widened in horror, and he became stiff.

"Scorpius. Don't you dare."

I furrowed my brows in confusion. What did he... Oh. I froze up. Was Scorpius seriously about to jump down the stairs? I mean, he did climb up a shelf and almost fall, potentially injuring himself. This time isn't going to be any different, or it could be even worse. I instinctively grabbed on to Draco's arm. With a thunderous stomp, he inched closer to the first step of the stairs. By now, Scorpius was bending his little legs up and down slightly, as if getting ready to take the leap. I gulped, looking over to Draco, who was looking like he might burst a vein at any moment now.

"Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy. I have had it with you misbehaving! You are going to get down the stairs, normally, right this second. And don't think you're getting your Muggle plaything anytime soon!"

"But, Dada, I'm magic! I have magic, just like you and Harry! I'll even be able to do stuff with a wand soon! Even Teddy has a wand!" Scorpius roared as much as his squeaky voice could muster. Draco softened in my grip, and after a moments hesitation, I let him go.

"No, Scor... You know you can't do these dangerous things. I know you want to see how far you can take your magic, but they'll come in time. They will." Draco shot back defeatedly, pleading with Scorpius to see reason. His arms were outstretched and he was leaning forward. Scorpius had now stepped back, backing away from the staircase, his face red and cheeks puffy with embarrassment.

"We can figure out some other way to test your magic." Draco continued. "We'll figure something out, okay?" An earnest smile grew on his lips. Scorpius came to the edge of the staircase. Draco made a fast movement forward on instinct- I even found myself flinching a little. But Scorpius just came waddling down the stairs with all of his snow layers on.

"Okay, Dada. I'll try to take care." Scorpius looked up and gave a toothy smile in return.

"Well," said Draco, holding his son close and looking warmly at him, as if it was the first time he really saw him, "let's go outside, then, shall we?"