Chapter 48

—Draco POV—

My eyes snapped open at the feeling of needles crawling slowly up my veins.

Darkness. Shapes and patterns and darkness was all I saw.

I took in my surroundings, recognizing the space as my room. I saw the wooden cabinets over wallpaper and the patterns that the small divide between each plank on my dresser. I was on my bed, a firm mattress, but soft enough for me and...

The needles transformed into a searing pain. I hissed and my brows furrowed as I tried to uncover the blanket quickly to see what the problem was. Grasping the covers, I stopped right before I could lift my blanket up. My breath stopped. I felt my eyes scrunch up, and I slowly let go of the side of the blanket, my breath returning in one long, exhale, mouth agape.

My thoughts drifted back to why I was so far on one side of the bed, and why I felt something warm next to me, on my backside.

Harry...

I must have awoken with a yelp. This pain didn't come out of nowhere; it must have been what woke me up. I turned my body as quickly and quietly as I could, searching for warmth, and relief, and the sound of gentle breathing that could only be heard here. I wish I could hear more of it. But I'm glad that sound is reserved for the quieter moments, like here, or when we hold hands in the corner, or when we watch Scorpius complete a puzzle.

It's remembering and taking in these quiet moments that made my breath catch in my throat, and my right arm fall limply at my side. I laid there, looking at his exposed neck, hinting at his bare back below, the very top of his long scar showing. How I wanted to abandon every respite, every inhibition, every ounce of this horrible pain, and grab him like I'm going to lose him forever.

But that seemed impossible through my wincing. Soon, that wincing became huffing, and that huffing became strained breaths, and the pain spread through my entire body. I felt my face contorting and an unwelcome lump form in my throat, one that I had been dreading and might as well have filled me with more fear than the physical pain itself.

I was not totally awake. But even still, from where it was hurting, I realized something. And it hit me all at once.

I was in my bed, having just woken up next to my loved one, but I felt like a seventeen-year-old again, cold, overwhelmed, numb.

"Harry?"

That was all I managed to croak out. I didn't expect him to turn to me that quickly, or turn to me at all. I freely sniffled, a choked sob eventually coming out once I saw his concerned face through a wall of tears.

"Hey, hey, Draco. I'm here," he said, then tried to stifle a yawn.

I couldn't help myself, and gave a strained chuckle, smiling. "Cute."

Harry grumbled. "Seriously. What's wrong?" He was hesitant, but I soon felt a hand on my right shoulder.

The smile that small yawn had brought crumbled into a frown, tears now flowing freely. Harry's look of half-asleep concern persisted, and his hand went from my shoulder to softly wrap around to my bare back. Through my sniffles and sobs, I still relaxed at his touch.

"M-My left arm... The Mark, Harry... It hurts s-so much..."

The words finally burst out of my chest. So did the burning pain, and I could not help but yelp and shrink into myself, still crying, my breath now beginning to shorten and sharpen.

"What? Draco, you... Do you need to go to the hospital?"

I couldn't speak. I couldn't... The Rowles... What if he is back? What if everything happens again? Everyone will be unprepared. Clueless. I'll lose everything again.