Chapter 62

—Draco POV—

"Mother?"

"Hello, sweetheart. It's good to see you." Her voice held the same professionalism I'd always known about her. The same poise and precision of only the best of women. "And this must be Scorpius." She tilted her gaze towards my son, who was holding my hand tightly.

"Hello dear, I'm Narcissa," she held out her hand, a proud and warm smile growing on her. One I hadn't seen since I was a child. "Narcissa Malfoy."

I nudged him gently, gesturing for him to be polite. Scorpius took her hand. "I'm Scorpius Malfoy..."

"Why of course I know that. You're my grandson."

"Mother... I... how have you been? I hadn't-"

"Oh please, Draco, I thought I'd taught you to speak with more confidence than that." She looked at me, disappointed. "I hope Scorpius doesn't trip over his words as much as you. Why don't we go home, catch up properly."

I blinked, taken aback by it all. I held Scorpius' hand a little tighter.

"...home?"

"Come on love; I use the floo at Borgin and Burke's." Before I knew it her hand gripped mine gently, and I found myself being guided around the back of Daigon Alley, around corners I knew all too well.

"Just down this way, Draco my love, they're waiting at Borgin and Burke's- your father is waiting. He'll be there to support you while you get the mark-"

"Just down this way, Draco my love." A harsh chill ran down my back, and I found myself breaking from her grasp, taking in a breath. I looked around, not calming until my eyes settled on Scorpius. I was gripping his hand a bit too tightly. Mother was standing still, looking back at me.

"I can follow just fine on my own, mother. Thank you." She nodded gently, continuing forward. I kept my head down, dragging Scorpius to be as close to me as possible, and casting a muffliato.

"Scorpius," I whispered, even though I knew the charm would mask our voices plenty. "Whatever you do, you're not to utter a single word unless I allow you to. Understood? You hold my hand, and you stay right with me. Don't look around, don't look at strangers. If anyone talks to you, you stay quiet and stay close."

"Dad you're shaking-"

"I'm fine," I assured, forcing my voice to stay as calm as possible. "You can visit right now, so you know never to come here in the future, son. This is where bad people lurk. People who will hurt you. Do you understand?"

"Yes, dad."

With that the silencing charm went down, and I caught up to mother, who was waiting patiently at the entrance, a worn expression on her face. 

The look on Borgin's face when I entered the shop made me want to vomit all over his floor. Without a word, we went through the fireplace.

"Malfoy Manor!" And like that, we were whisked away, landing with two feet firmly in the drawing room of my childhood home. Of Scorpius' home for the first few months of his life.

Stepping through the fireplace left me feeling odd. My mother had already walked a few steps in, and I guided Scorpius in before me, dusting him off. Mother turned around. Her expression had changed, from professional and perfect, to just... normal. She held her arms out, a smile reaching her eyes.

In one fell swoop, I collapsed into a hug with her, holding her tightly. I was overwhelmed with emotions. My mother, who I haven't seen in... years... and here she is, hugging me and telling me how much she missed me.