Chapter 53

—Draco POV—

"Harry, I refrained from sharing my opinion so that you could make your own decision, but I draw the line here. No! You should not go to this party!"

"It's going to be fine, Draco! It's a little kids party; how much damage could it do?!"

Weren't you a 'little kid' when they locked you up and refused to feed you or let you bathe, or when you were beat for not cooking their meals or cleaning their house? My eyes narrowed as they pierced into Harry's. He was decidedly facing away from me, trying- struggling- and failing to find a suitable shirt to wear even as he feverishly rummaged through the drawers and closet over and over again, passing and neglecting multiple shirts that I thought were perfectly fine. I took a breath and paused, trying a different approach.

"There will be other opportunities for you to build a relationship with your cousin, opportunities that don't involve his parents. Harry, I'm worried what being around them might do, who knows what could happen at the party, and I do not apologize one bit when I say that I don't think they care if it's for a kid-"

"Draco," Harry turned around, stepping back until the dresser was against his back. He closed his eyes and took a breath. "You're going to be there, right?" He opened his eyes.

"Of course, not only would I never leave my son, but I wouldn't leave you either."

"So then it'll be fine." His voice wavered slightly and he moved, grabbing a random shirt and walking towards the bed before putting it on.

I should have known that there was no convincing Harry after that.

I should have known at that moment when he sniffled violently, wiping his face and erasing any traces of uncertainty before moving to put his shoes on, that this was a horrible idea, and that I should have refused to let him go, no matter how upset it might have made him.

"My grand grand cousin's great great granddaughter," I remember Millicent telling me earlier during the party. I thought it would be so absurd to keep track of something like that until she continued with "She's actually a Black, but nobody cared because her great great grandmum was a squib." Because sometimes I forget how much power it can give you to be able to prove you're related to the Black family, even if it's absurdly distant. Even if that relation can lead to a squib.

"The Black, her great great grandmum, is  actually your great grandfather's sister."

"That means that my sweet Abigail is sort of like a cousin to your Scorpius."

We should have left the second I noticed an owl swooping towards us in the distance once they were cutting the cake.

I should have known. I should have known.

The owl screeched, landing just in front of the cake. Millicent's eyes went wide as she took the envelope from it's beak. Vernon and Petunia, shocked to the core with horror, turned straight to Harry.

"You," Petunia shrieked, her long, bony, wrinkly finger pointing accusingly. I watched all of the color drain from Harry's face, at the same time that Vernon turned a deep shade of purple.

Abigail Dursley has been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Harry took no time to grasp my hand tightly. I reached over to grab Scorpius with a sharp tug, apparating us home.

Harry didn't calm down from that until late into the next day. He was constantly worrying that they would find him, that they would hurt him.

Not even eight days later was Christmas. Dudley and Millicent did not show up to brunch. Harry and I did not go to the burrow. We stayed at home with Scorpius, and we had a quiet, simple Christmas- watching films and enjoying the climate and the snow, drinking hot chocolate and sitting by the fireplace.