Chapter 2: Listen Through Thin Walls

~Zia's POV~

In the middle of the night, I was awoken by the noise from my parents' room.

"So when were you planning on telling me about your PLAN for OUR daughter?"

"I don't know. Maybe when you actually come home here more often. Just saying because first of all, your 'daughter' doesn't even see you for breakfast. Second, you always come home late which I DO NOT understand. We literally work in the same company and my secretary hands me all the employees' schedule. Third, I didn't tell you about the plan because...that wasn't actually my plan."

"Then what? What were you actually planning?"

"I want to celebrate it at her birthplace..." At first, I thought they were gonna come out of the room because of the sudden silence, then...

"WHAT?? Are you serious? Now, why would you celebrate there? WHY THERE?"

"Well that place is- sentimental and I want her to know where she came from. That's where I want her to get her powers and maybe-"

"Her memories as Mia might come rushing back. Eva, she's our daughter. Don't traumatize our daughter like that."

"TRAUMATIZE? Wow so I'M traumatizing her now?"

"No no. Don't give me that. Tons of demons and OUR kind died there. You can't just bring her ther-."

"I can't keep doing this, Adrien."

"Doing what? You're literally just here. Zia doesn't need that much attention. She has you."

"JUST here? I work at a club AS THE CEO and I have to be a mother at the same time. You think that's easy for me with- with her dad always MIA? I work 24/7 and today was the only day off I had for a long time and you're there with your new secretary-"

"What-? Honey, I would never do that to you-"

"Right...So is she NOT the reason you've been working so late?"

"NO!...Not exactly." I heard mom laugh. "It's not what you think I'm doing this for Zia. "

"STOP! For Zia? Are you serious?! You have GOT to be kidding me. Screw this. I'm sleeping at her room tonight, don't even try to talk me out of it."

"Honey I-"

I quickly ran back to my bed when I heard the door open. I saw a light shine near my door and I knew it was my dad. He teleported to talk to my mom.

"Adrien, it is the middle of the night. I'm not gonna do this again."

"Please, Eva, just- let me explain."

"NO!" A thunder growled right outside. Just thunder and lightning, with no rain. I knew that mommy was REALLY angry this time. It usually rains when she's sad. "I'm sleeping here, with MY daughter. You better stay out of this room."

My dad couldn't do anything. He knew he'd be barbecued if he did anything more. I heard the door slam and I tried sleeping after that so mom won't know that I was awake the whole time. For the last time, I heard mom say...

"I'm going to arrange the divorce papers tomorrow, ASAP."
.............................................................................

"Hey baby, mommy made breakfast." I got up, remembering what happened last night.