36| Chaos at the Shrieking Shack

Start from the beginning

"Ghosts didn't do that." said Harry quietly, referring to the broken windows and the broken furniture.

At that moment, we heard a creak upstairs. All of us looked up at the ceiling. Harry raised his eyebrows; Hermione finally freed Harry's hand from her tight clutch as we quietly climbed up the crumbling staircase. As usual, the shack's floor was covered in a thick layer of dust but this time I noticed something strange.

A wide, sleek stripe had been made by something being yanked upstairs.

"Stay close you two," I whispered. "Nox."
and the lights at the end of our wands went out. The door that led to the bedroom was ajar, I heard movement from behind it; a low moan, and then a deep, loud purring. I bit my lip nervously as I saw Harry and Hermione exchanging looks.

"Allow me." I said, clutching my wand tighter than ever as I kicked the door wide open.

Crookshanks was laying on the bed, purring loudly as we entered and beside him, sat Ron Weasley who was clutching his leg and moaning in pain.

"Ron — are you OK?" Hermione asked, dashing across the room and approaching Ron.

And protected by Ron's defensive hands, screeched Scabbers. I dashed my foot against the creaky floor and leaped in front of Ron, desperately trying to get the rat.

"Selene! Stop!" Hermione cried as she and Harry tried to restrain me from getting Scabbers but unfortunately I was unsuccessful to do so and my back landed hardly on the floor.

"What is it you want with Scabbers?!" Ron yelled at me.

"Where's the dog?" Harry demanded.

"Not a dog," moaned Ron, his teeth were gritted with pain. "Harry, it's a trap –"
"What –"
"He's the dog ... he's an Animagus ..."

I gasped and my eyes widened with shock. For I knew in the tiniest moment, the trio, Crookshanks, and I weren't the only ones in the room. Ron was staring over Harry's shoulder as the latter and Hermione turned around, and we saw the man in the shadows closing the door behind us.

And there stood Sirius, looking more filthy than ever and he was wearing a grin. I saw Harry, Ron and Hermione's faces filling with shock and horror as they saw Sirius.

"Expelliarmus!" said Sirius hoarsely, pointing Ron's wand at them.
Harry's and Hermione's wands shot out of their hands, high in the air, and Sirius caught them. Then he took a step closer. His eyes, fixed on Harry.

"I thought you'd come and help your friend," said Sirius. "Your father would have done the same for me. Brave of you, not to run for a teacher. I'm grateful ... it will make everything much easier ..."

The way that Sirius referred to Harry's father James must've took a toll on him and without thinking Harry started forwards but Hermione and Ron grabbed each of his side and tried to restrain him.

I didn't know what to do and stood there frozen like a statue, my face pale and mouth slightly dropped.

"If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us, too!" Ron said fiercely. My widened eyes met his, I couldn't believe that Ron, who broke his leg, was badly injured and seemed like he was going to die in a few moments, was defending both Harry and Hermione from my brother.