Ch. 20

The cocoa mugs sat empty on my coffee table. It was late. Alex had called her mom and told her she was staying over. My mom didn't care. I knew Alex thought I was sleeping, even though I wasn't. She'd kept me busy and entertained all day, and only stopped a few minutes ago when she thought I fell asleep.

But I wasn't sleeping. My mind was racing. I felt wide awake, and my thoughts were sharp. I had my headphones in and was listening to 'Crave You' by Flight Facilities. My heart pounded. My ears vibrated with the beat.

Alex sat on Twitter, scrolling and reading. I pressed a hand to my eyes.

I was so confused. I wanted to be with Laurie, but I also really liked Robbie. I didn't wanna mess up my friendship. I didn't wanna regret choosing the wrong guy. I had no clue what to think. I felt like I was gonna fall apart.

When your best friend whom you've always loved starts to like you right when you start to like another guy, what do you do? No one ever gets in situations like that. No one but, clearly, me. My situation, in fact, was reminiscent of some cheesy chick-flick. I wanted to pull my hair out.

I closed my eyes and a slideshow of good memories from other times filled my mind. Images of Laurie, Robbie, me, and Alex all floated through. I fell asleep and had no dreams. I couldn't let myself dream.