Ch. 4

There was nothing wrong with her, really, she was quite nice. Nice little Brandy Carson. I'm sure that if I'd met her on my own I wouldn't have hated her, maybe we'd even have been friends. More likely, I would've at least tolerated her existence. But she had Laurie, so she also had my hatred. It was a package deal. 

She was average, completely. She was pretty but not gorgeous, smart but no genius, fit but not athletic, liked music but didn't love it or play any instruments. It was irritating, how utterly normal she was. Funny but no comedian, semi-popular but no prom queen. Nothing about her stood out. Her hair was medium brown, skin barely tan but nowhere near as pale as me, light grey-blue eyes, skinny but not rail-thin. She wavered on the lines of everything, never really falling all the way into any category. It was annoying. 

When Laurie started dating Brandy I was hit hard, fully surprised. I hadn't seen it coming at all, and had been trying to work up the courage to just lean over and kiss him sometime. But I'd waited too long and he was gone. Taken.  

They met at a school activity night on Halloween (fitting, since their relationship was my nightmare) and had quickly advanced to 'boyfriend-girlfriend' status. I didn't have to put up with her presence often, but when I did it was torture. She was one of those achingly sweet girls, that were so hard to loath. I did, though. I was that talented. 

Closer to the beginning of them dating, I tried to convince Laurie that she was no good. That I'd heard rumors that she slept around, that she was a bit of a skank. But he dismissed them as 'just talk' as we talked about it over survival mode on COD® MW3®. I gave up about the fourth time this happened, surrendering reluctantly. It was a sad day. 

"Hi! OMG! You're Rian! Laurie talks about you all the time, it's great to finally meet you!" She'd said, squealing and flinging her arms around me. Laurie stood behind her, smiling at me over her shoulder. I plastered a fake, stiff smile onto my face and stuck it out. Meeting Brandy wasn't a great experience. 

"Yes, and I've heard ever so much about you." I had replied, holding back my bitterness.  

Now, laying on Laurie's bed with my head hanging off towards the floor, all thoughts of Brandy were put away. 

"Laurie, did you get an A on that science test?" I popped the gum I was chewing and stretched my hands over my head. 

"No, I got a B plus. How your math quiz go?" He spun around in his desk chair, fixing his hair and chattering with me. 

"Alright. I got an A minus, which is the equivalent of a D minus in my mothers world. So, that sucks." 

"Your mom's crazy, though." He stopped spinning and looked at me. 

"Really? I hadn't noticed." I responded oh-so-sarcastically, arching a brow for extra effect. He laughed.  

"So, are we gonna go to the gym Saturday?" I paused, as if reviewing my mental calendar, checking my schedule to see if I'd somehow become a busy person. 

"Yeah, you know I never have other things to do." He squinted, getting an intense look on his face. 

"Imma win this time!" He stated, being mockingly competitive. 

"Yeah, okay. For the first time in two years!" I giggled. We'd been going up to the gym to use the basketball court for one-on-one games since the second month in our friendship. At first he always beat me, then we'd tend to tie, and now I was the reknown champion. 

"It's on, girly! On like Donky Kong!" And I about died laughing, falling off his bed and hitting the floor with a bang.