AV Chapter 14: Rebellion on a Misty Silver Night: Act III

Earlier, Sicarius City

Shirou frowned as he had been updated with the news. Astolfo's Master had been killed in a sneak attack that not even Chiron could intercept entirely.

The Rider wouldn't vanish right away, since he had Independent Action, but they couldn't afford any hindrances at this crucial moment. 

He felt the Assassin on his arms twitch as he landed atop of a building. He felt relief as Semiramis opened her eyes, but he was forced to place a hand over her mouth before she could talk.

Shirou: Apologies for the rude awakening, but we need to keep the noise to a minimum.

Semiramis: What... happened?

Shirou: The enemy had a countermeasure to the Hanging Gardens. 

Semiramis: *sarcastically* You don't say? Clearly my scream of pain before falling unconscious wasn't convincing enough. 60 years of resources and 3 days of casting, just for NOTHING.

Shirou: I'm sorry. I was too arrogant to think otherwise.

Semiramis: Be silent and tell me of the situation.

Shirou: The fortress was destroyed, Shakespeare, Atalante, and Rider's Master have perished, and what remains of us are currently submerged into the Assassin's territory.

Semiramis: I can see that. Or, rather, I cannot see that, as I cannot see anything in this blasted darkness. Fitting territory for an Assassin. 

Shirou: Can you move?

Semiramis: But of course. Who do you think you're talking to?

Shirou: I'm glad, because, as you can see, I'll need your help.

Semiramis: Has there been an occasion in which you haven't needed my help lately?

Shirou couldn't resist a smile, even though it wouldn't be seen amidst the darkness. 

It vanished abruptly as his head whipped at his northeast, but found nothing there. At the same time, a deep mist started to manifest. 

Shirou: They're attacking...!

Inside the mist, he could see a pair of glowing, emerald eyes. Wide, unblinking, and slitted, not unlike a predator about to pounce on its prey.

Semiramis: Vermin...

The rooftop was lit ablaze as many purple sigils appeared behind her, from which many spectral chains shot at the eyes at unprecedented speeds... but they had vanished before contact could be made. 

Shirou frowned at this. Why would an Assassin deliberately show themselves to their target like that? They had even attacked him earlier, and he would have died if not for his Revelation and-

Shirou: They're ambushing us to gauge our abilities and how to counterattack them at the second try.

Semiramis: We need to move, I'm assuming.

Shirou: Immediately, yes.

They couldn't stay on the rooftops any longer, so he simply took her hand and jumped off the six-story building they were in. The fall mattered little to them. The Assassin was clearly the priority.

What was worse, the Assassin had a Skill that made enemies forget everything about themselves after a confrontation. 

His instincts screamed. An attack was coming. He looked above, expecting the sight of the Assassin prepared to swoop on them... but found nothing.