chapter 53

Birthday pt. 2

"Girls, it's not that hard

"Girls, it's not that hard." I tell them one last time. It had already became night fall and the party was minutes from starting.

The boys had chosen to spend the rest of the day to be stupid and fly around on broomsticks but, I opted to sit in my dorm.

"Ok ok." Lily asks, "red," she says holding up a bright red turtleneck top to her chest, "or yellow?" She asks one more time holding up a short sleeve yellow shirt.

"Red, it goes with your hair." Olivia adds.

"Yea, I agree." She says as I combed through my hair.

"Vera, what are you wearing?" She asks me.

"Oh I don't know. I might just wear a flannel and those black shorts." I say with a shrug.

"Those are cute." They both say in agreement.

"Yea, I don't feel like dressing up right now." I say. My body still has lingered effects of the cigarettes so I didn't really pay much attention to what the two girl were talking about.

"Do you think Amos will be there?" Lily asks nervously.

"Maybe, why?" I respond.

"I don't know, it's his last year and we just haven't seen each other as much." She says dabbing powder on her nose.

"Do you even like him?" I ask her.

"I mean yea. He's smart, funny, attractive, he plays Quidditch." She says listing off the traits with her fingers.

"Sounds a lot like someone we know." Olivia says.

"Yea, maybe a messy haired, glasses wearing, arrogant toe-rag?" I ask her with a smug smile.

She scoffs at me and turns her face away, "as if. I would rather jump into-."

"The black lake and the giant squid, we know Lily." Olivia and I reply.

"Do I really say it that much?" She asks.

"Lily, you say at least twice a day. It's become your thing now." I answered her with a laugh.

"Anyway, I'm pretty sure Amos will be there if you want a dance. He is 17 though, he's an older man." Olivia adds with a hearty laugh.

"Wow Lily, I didn't think you liked older men." I say following in with Olivia's laugh.

"Shut your tramps."

About an hour later, we made our way quietly to the Gryffindor common room. Knowing that the boys have a secret invisibility cloak, it would make sneaking to the common room a lot easier, but James is very protective over who knows he has one.

"Pumpernickel." I whisper at the portrait.

"Is there a party going on? There is a odd amount of student going back and forth through the common room?" The fat lady asks.