chapter 15

Home sweet home

  (Please check updated cast list)

"Oh honey we missed you!" My mom yells as she tightly embraces me along with my step-dad.

"Hey kiddo, how's good old England?" He asks in a broken British accent I roll my eyes with a laugh.

"It's in the Scottish Highlands actually." I say setting my stuff down. I turn back to see Foster and Gavin staring at me with wide eyes.

"It's not even in England?" They ask.

"No, it's in Scotland but there's a lot of English people." I say slowly, trying to help them understand. Spoiler alert, they don't understand one bit.

"Boys, stop pestering Vera. Let her go put her things away." She says smacking the tops of their heads with rags.

I made my way up the stairs to the loft of the house, my room. What walls were there with filled with posters, I had a big bed with a very fluffy bed spread, a record player and my very first electric guitar. I still remember the day I got it.

Flashback...
A young Vera was sitting in the living room quietly listening to the greatest guitarist ever, Jimi Hendrix. The way he played his guitar was so beautiful, it made her want to play one just like him.

"Mom!" She shouted.

"Yes dear?"

"Can we go buy a guitar?" She pops her up from the dishwasher and stares at me.

"Vera honey, your six why on Earth do you need a guitar?" Her mother had a valid point. What six year old needed a guitar? It was absurd.

"I need one mom, I want to be like Jimi!" She says pointing to the record player.

"Oh honey." She says going over to hug her. She pushes back the hair in her eyes. "Did you know that Jimi Hendrix was born in Seattle?" Veras eyes went wide.

"Wait really? Wait, where's Seattle again?" Veras mom lets out a laugh.

"We went there last weekend remember? The fish market?"

"Oh yea, stinky fish." Vera says plucking her nose.

"Yea stinky fish." Her mother says with a laugh. She looks her in the eyes and rubs her cheek. "My love if you want a guitar, we shall get one." She says standing up. "Not until Steve comes back with Foster." She says shaking her finger jokingly.

"Thank you momma!" She says embracing her in a tight hug.

"Of course my love, I want you to have everything that makes you happy." She says planting a kiss on her head.